• العربية
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Live TV
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Live TV
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • فارسی
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Live TV
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

Acclaimed Iranian director’s film makes Oscars shortlist

Dec 17, 2025, 10:57 GMT+0
Director Jafar Panahi poses during a photocall for the film "Un simple accident" (It Was Just an Accident) in competition at the 78th Cannes Film Festival in Cannes, France, May 21, 2025.
Director Jafar Panahi poses during a photocall for the film "Un simple accident" (It Was Just an Accident) in competition at the 78th Cannes Film Festival in Cannes, France, May 21, 2025.

A film by dissident Iranian director Jafar Panahi has advanced to the shortlist for the international feature film category at the 98th Academy Awards, organizers said on Tuesday.

Panahi’s film, It Was Just an Accident, was included among 15 shortlisted titles as France’s official submission. Films from 86 countries were eligible in the category, with Academy members required to view all shortlisted entries to take part in the nominations round.

The film was made secretly inside Iran and follows the moral dilemma of a group of former political prisoners who believe they have captured the man who once tortured them. The work draws directly on Panahi’s own experiences of detention and surveillance.

It Was Just an Accident won the Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival earlier this year, further cementing Panahi’s standing as one of Iran’s most internationally recognized filmmakers despite long-standing restrictions on his work.

Legal pressure at home

Earlier this month, Panahi’s lawyer said the director had been sentenced in absentia to one year in prison on a charge of propaganda against the state. The ruling also included a two-year travel ban and restrictions on political and social activity. The sentence was issued while Panahi was abroad promoting the film.

Panahi has said he plans to return to Iran after completing the awards campaign, despite the risks. “I have only one passport, the passport of my country,” he said earlier this month.

Oscar nominations will be announced on Jan. 22, 2026. The awards ceremony is scheduled for March 15 in Los Angeles.

Most Viewed

Iran campaign urges people to fund sacrifice of 10,000 sheep for Khamenei’s health
1

Iran campaign urges people to fund sacrifice of 10,000 sheep for Khamenei’s health

2

A poem hailed as Khamenei's prophecy is an acrostic: Born of Satan

3

Trump says Hormuz open as reports point to weaker Iran control

4
ANALYSIS

Can Iran's fragile economy survive Trump's 'Economic D-Day'?

5
ANALYSIS

UAE trade halt threatens one of Iran’s remaining economic lifelines

Banner
Banner
Banner

Spotlight

  • Turkey’s gas pivot leaves Iran with fewer cards to play
    ANALYSIS

    Turkey’s gas pivot leaves Iran with fewer cards to play

  • With the war quieting, Iran's hijab crackdown gathers pace again

    With the war quieting, Iran's hijab crackdown gathers pace again

  • UAE trade halt threatens one of Iran’s remaining economic lifelines
    ANALYSIS

    UAE trade halt threatens one of Iran’s remaining economic lifelines

  • Can Iran's fragile economy survive Trump's 'Economic D-Day'?
    ANALYSIS

    Can Iran's fragile economy survive Trump's 'Economic D-Day'?

  • The unlikely return of European diplomacy in the Iran-US conflict
    ANALYSIS

    The unlikely return of European diplomacy in the Iran-US conflict

  • For Iranian journalists, exile can last a lifetime
    OPINION

    For Iranian journalists, exile can last a lifetime