• العربية
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • فارسی
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

Rubio cites progress in Iran talks, but casts doubt on breakthrough

May 23, 2026, 15:25 GMT+1

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Saturday “some progress” had been made in talks on Iran and suggested there could be news later in the day, while cautioning that no breakthrough was certain.

"There may be news later today. I don't have news at this very moment, but there might be some news a little later today," Rubio told reporters in New Delhi. "There may not be. I hope there will be, but I'm not sure yet."

"There's been some progress done, some progress made, even as I speak to you now, there's some work being done," he said. "There is a chance that, whether it's later today, tomorrow, in a couple days, we may have something to say, but this issue needs to be solved, as the president said, one way or another."

Most Viewed

Iran scrambles for Omani back channel around the Hormuz blockade
1
INSIGHT

Iran scrambles for Omani back channel around the Hormuz blockade

2
INSIGHT

Hope for US-Iran deal faces hardliner hostility in Tehran

3
INSIGHT

Iran can build missiles but can't afford chicken

4
ANALYSIS

Pakistan continues quiet push to stop another Iran war

5
ANALYSIS

Why oil giant Iran struggles to supply gasoline

Banner
Banner
•
•
•

Spotlight

  • Trump’s strongest leverage over Tehran may run through Beijing
    PODCAST

    Trump’s strongest leverage over Tehran may run through Beijing

  • Pakistan continues quiet push to stop another Iran war
    ANALYSIS

    Pakistan continues quiet push to stop another Iran war

  • Iran scrambles for Omani back channel around the Hormuz blockade
    INSIGHT

    Iran scrambles for Omani back channel around the Hormuz blockade

  • From pulpits to parliament, why Iran’s officials speak in threats
    OPINION

    From pulpits to parliament, why Iran’s officials speak in threats

  • Why oil giant Iran struggles to supply gasoline
    ANALYSIS

    Why oil giant Iran struggles to supply gasoline

  • The strange afterlife of Iran’s firebrand president
    INSIGHT

    The strange afterlife of Iran’s firebrand president

More Stories

US, Israel differ on risks of removing Mojtaba Khamenei - Israel Hayom

May 23, 2026, 12:20 GMT+1

The United States and Israel are debating whether removing Mojtaba Khamenei would destabilize the Islamic Republic or risk producing a more radical power structure and a fragile nuclear deal similar to the 2015 agreement, Israel Hayom reported.

The Israeli newspaper said the question had become a new point of discussion in political and security circles after the killing of Ali Khamenei, with officials weighing whether Mojtaba Khamenei’s survival provides a degree of manageable stability or whether his removal could weaken the system further.

The report described Mojtaba Khamenei as weak, wounded and lacking full authority, while saying Iran’s ruling structure still has a command system and can project continuity as long as a member of the Khamenei family remains at the top.

Israel Hayom said some officials believe removing him could trigger a succession crisis and create space for a more pragmatic faction to reach a deal with the West.

Others, the report said, warn there may be no real moderates ready to take power and that such a move could instead produce a more radical structure or another time-limited nuclear agreement viewed by Israel as insufficient.

Ghalibaf tells Pakistan army chief Iran will not compromise

May 23, 2026, 12:16 GMT+1

Iran’s parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf told Pakistan’s army chief Asim Munir in Tehran that the Islamic Republic would not compromise on what he called the rights of the Iranian nation and country, state TV reported.

Ghalibaf said Iran’s armed forces had rebuilt their capabilities during the ceasefire and warned that if the United States “foolishly restarts the war,” the consequences would be “more crushing and bitter.”

Iranian state TV also reported that Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi held a second meeting with Munir after talks on Iran’s proposals.

A Foreign Ministry spokesperson has said gaps in the talks remain wide.

Iran seizes assets of 96 people in Qazvin over security accusations

May 23, 2026, 12:15 GMT+1

The prosecutor in Qazvin province said authorities had identified and seized assets belonging to 96 people accused of working for hostile actors, including individuals inside and outside Iran.

Ali-Asghar Asgari said indictments had been issued against three people on espionage accusations and six others on charges of carrying out intelligence activities. He said the cases had been sent to the Revolutionary Court.

“Any operational or intelligence action in favor of the enemy aimed at endangering security and national interests carries the punishment of seizure of all assets and execution,” Asgari said.

Pakistan army chief meets Ghalibaf and Pezeshkian in Tehran

May 23, 2026, 11:35 GMT+1

Pakistan’s army chief Asim Munir met Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian and parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf in Tehran as part of ongoing diplomatic efforts over regional tensions, Iranian state media reported.

Munir also met Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian during his visit to Iran, with Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi present, according to the report.

Al Arabiya, citing informed sources, reported that Munir had carried US messages to Tehran and that the messages included a threat to resume the war.

Iran cleric says hijab should not divide wartime mobilization

May 23, 2026, 10:35 GMT+1

A senior Iranian cleric said women without proper hijab should not be excluded from wartime gatherings, while Nour News, affiliated with Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, called for reason and moderation over ideological confrontation.

Ayatollah Mohammad Javad Fazel Lankarani said Iranians should not be divided by issues such as hijab when the country and Islam were under threat.

He said the issue of hijab remained a religious duty, but argued that it would be wrong to tell women without proper hijab not to attend nightly gatherings organized in support of the war effort.

“When the country itself and the foundation of Islam are in danger, we should not deal with second- and third-tier issues... we should not ask the man who has taken up a weapon and entered the field whether he prays or not, let alone raise the issue of hijab,” Fazel Lankarani said.

The comments came as Nour News, affiliated with Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, published an essay calling for a return to “reason and moderation” in Iranian public life.

Marking the day honoring the philosopher Mulla Sadra, the outlet argued that Iran needed a form of rationality that sees religion “not as a tool of control, but as a light for illumination.”

The essay criticized what it described as emotional and irrational forms of religiosity, as well as currents that reject religion entirely in the name of modernity.

It said Iran needed dialogue instead of conflict, and a reinterpretation of tradition rather than either blind imitation or outright rejection.

The shift does not amount to a formal retreat from policies such as mandatory hijab, but it reflects a growing recognition inside parts of the system that ideological confrontation at home could weaken the wartime unity authorities are trying to preserve.