People carrying Iran’s pre-1979 “Lion and Sun” national flags gathered near the United Nations office in Geneva on Tuesday as a second round of nuclear talks between the United States and Iran took place in the city.




Iran has come to nuclear talks in Geneva with “genuine, constructive proposals,” a senior Iranian official told Reuters on Tuesday.
The official said Iran’s approach to the negotiations with the United States was “positive and serious,” but added that Tehran had no preconceptions about the outcome.
“The key to sustaining effective talks is US seriousness on lifting sanctions and avoiding unrealistic demands,” the official said.
Indirect talks between the two sides were due to begin in Geneva later on Tuesday.
A senior Iranian MP said on Tuesday that Iran previously did not allow the IAEA to inspect its nuclear facilities because Rafael Grossi, the agency’s director general, had not fulfilled his duties and “needed to be punished.”
Alaeddin Boroujerdi said Grossi had not condemned attacks on Iran’s nuclear sites and “it was only natural for us not to allow inspections.”
The member of parliament's national security and foreign policy committee added that Iran has now agreed to allow inspections to demonstrate that its nuclear activities remain peaceful and within the framework of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, a decision made by the Supreme National Security Council, according to Boroujerdi.
Iran and the United States will speak separately with Oman’s foreign minister during their indirect nuclear talks, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said on Tuesday on state television IRIB.
Baghaei said the format would mirror the previous round, with the Omani foreign minister relaying messages between the two sides.
He said the discussions would focus on nuclear issues.
Baghaei added that, similar to Iran, the United States would also hold talks with International Atomic Energy Agency chief Rafael Grossi.
The delegations were about to depart for the venue of the negotiations, he said.

Iran’s judiciary has issued 8,843 indictments so far for protesters arrested during demonstrations, the judiciary spokesman said on Tuesday.
Asghar Jahangir also rejected a European Parliament resolution on Iran that has condemned systematic repression by Iran’s authorities.
In a resolution adopted by 524 votes in favor, three against and 41 abstentions, members of the European Parliament (MEPs) demanded an immediate end to violence against civilians, including arbitrary detentions, enforced disappearances and torture.

Russia, Iran and China have sent warships to take part in joint naval exercises in the Strait of Hormuz, Russian presidential aide Nikolai Patrushev said in remarks published on Tuesday.
The drills, named “Maritime Security Belt - 2026,” will be held in the coming days in the strategic waterway, Patrushev told the Argumenty i Fakty newspaper.
Iran’s Tasnim news agency earlier reported that the three countries would hold their eighth joint naval exercise in late February in the northern Indian Ocean.
The drills will involve units from the Iranian navy, the navy of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, as well as Chinese and Russian naval forces, Tasnim said.
The “Security Belt” exercises have been held since 2019 at the initiative of Iran’s navy and aim to strengthen maritime trade security, according to the agency. The joint activities include counter-piracy operations, efforts to combat maritime terrorism and search-and-rescue missions.






