• العربية
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • فارسی
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

Trump authorized Iran attack after Tehran rejected deal - Washington Post

Dec 17, 2025, 17:59 GMT+0Updated: 22:45 GMT+0
A US Air Force B-2 Spirit bomber performs a fly-over at Rosecrans Air National Guard Base in St. Joseph, Missouri, September 14, 2024.
A US Air Force B-2 Spirit bomber performs a fly-over at Rosecrans Air National Guard Base in St. Joseph, Missouri, September 14, 2024.

US President Donald Trump made Iran a final offer for a deal which Iran refused in June, the Washington Post reported on Wednesday citing officials, prompting his authorization of a plan to attack its nuclear program.

The Trump administration proposal to Iran dated June 15 demanded Tehran end support for armed allies in the region including Hamas and Hezbollah along with “replacing” the Fordow nuclear site and “any other functioning facility” with sites which do not allow uranium enrichment.

According to the text quoted by the Washington Post, the United States in return would lift “ALL sanctions placed on Iran."

Shortly after it was conveyed via Qatari mediators, the proposed deal was rejected by Tehran, and Washington authorized the attacks which would come the following month, the Post reported citing a senior diplomat involved in the process.

The United States held five rounds of negotiations with Iran over its disputed nuclear program earlier this year, for which Trump set a 60-day deadline.

Trump accused Iran of dragging out the talks while Tehran said Washington's demands were unreasonable and undermined their sovereignty.

When no agreement was reached by the 61st day on June 13, Israel launched a surprise military offensive followed by US strikes on June 22 targeting key nuclear facilities in Isfahan, Natanz and Fordow.

Trump said the attacks "obliterated" Iran's nuclear program, in an assertion disputed by Tehran, which denies seeking a nuclear weapons. Tehran has said war damage means no enrichment is ongoing but the standoff over its nuclear ambitions persists.

Most Viewed

Mohsen Rezaei’s son among nine identified in $11-billion Iran oil network
1
EXCLUSIVE

Mohsen Rezaei’s son among nine identified in $11-billion Iran oil network

2
PODCAST

Iran’s rulers turn attention to the threat from within

3
ANALYSIS

War redraws Iran’s trade as ties with key partners plunge

4

Iran weighs gasoline rationing as fuel deficit widens

5

Iran lawmaker played direct role in deadly protest crackdown, witnesses say

Banner
Banner
Banner

Spotlight

  • Mohsen Rezaei’s son among nine identified in $11-billion Iran oil network
    EXCLUSIVE

    Mohsen Rezaei’s son among nine identified in $11-billion Iran oil network

  • Iran’s rulers turn attention to the threat from within
    PODCAST

    Iran’s rulers turn attention to the threat from within

  • War redraws Iran’s trade as ties with key partners plunge
    ANALYSIS

    War redraws Iran’s trade as ties with key partners plunge

  • Sanctions alone cannot topple Iran’s regime, former Treasury official says

    Sanctions alone cannot topple Iran’s regime, former Treasury official says

  • Fear of unrest complicates Iran’s gasoline dilemma
    INSIGHT

    Fear of unrest complicates Iran’s gasoline dilemma

  • Iran’s security reshuffle lays bare political drama at the top
    ANALYSIS

    Iran’s security reshuffle lays bare political drama at the top