• العربية
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • فارسی
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

Pakistan army chief meets Araghchi in Tehran over Iran war diplomacy

May 23, 2026, 05:17 GMT+1

Pakistan’s army chief Asim Munir met Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi in Tehran on Friday to discuss the latest diplomatic efforts and initiatives aimed at ending the Iran war, Iranian state media reported.

The two sides also exchanged views on security issues in West Asia and efforts to prevent further escalation, according to the report.

100%

Most Viewed

The strange afterlife of Iran’s firebrand president
1
INSIGHT

The strange afterlife of Iran’s firebrand president

2
INSIGHT

Iran can build missiles but can't afford chicken

3
INSIGHT

Iran scrambles for Omani back channel around the Hormuz blockade

4
ANALYSIS

Why oil giant Iran struggles to supply gasoline

5
ANALYSIS

Pakistan continues quiet push to stop another Iran war

Banner
Banner

Spotlight

  • Trump’s strongest leverage over Tehran may run through Beijing
    PODCAST

    Trump’s strongest leverage over Tehran may run through Beijing

  • Pakistan continues quiet push to stop another Iran war
    ANALYSIS

    Pakistan continues quiet push to stop another Iran war

  • Iran scrambles for Omani back channel around the Hormuz blockade
    INSIGHT

    Iran scrambles for Omani back channel around the Hormuz blockade

  • From pulpits to parliament, why Iran’s officials speak in threats
    OPINION

    From pulpits to parliament, why Iran’s officials speak in threats

  • Why oil giant Iran struggles to supply gasoline
    ANALYSIS

    Why oil giant Iran struggles to supply gasoline

  • The strange afterlife of Iran’s firebrand president
    INSIGHT

    The strange afterlife of Iran’s firebrand president

•
•
•

More Stories

Hope for US-Iran deal faces hardliner hostility in Tehran

May 23, 2026, 03:37 GMT+1
•
Behrouz Turani

Hope for a limited US-Iran agreement gained momentum Friday as regional mediators intensified efforts to stabilize the ceasefire, but the fragile diplomacy faced hostility from Iranian hardliners who cast negotiations as a prelude to renewed conflict.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmail Baghaei said Friday morning that despite growing speculation surrounding the talks, “no significant progress” had been made.

Diplomatic sources say discussions have focused on a possible memorandum of understanding envisioned as a first step toward broader negotiations, including over Iran’s nuclear program.

The proposed framework would reportedly seek to stabilize the ceasefire and establish mechanisms for managing shipping and navigation disputes in the Strait of Hormuz.

Such an arrangement could provide both sides with temporary political breathing room while reducing pressure on global energy markets already shaken by weeks of conflict and shipping disruptions.

But neither Tehran nor Washington has ruled out military escalation if negotiations collapse before an agreement is finalized.

The Trump administration was preparing on Friday for a fresh round of military strikes against Iran, CBS reported citing sources familiar with the planning, even as indirect diplomacy continues.

The fragility of the process was also underscored Friday by continued attacks from Iranian hardliners who argue the ceasefire itself represented a strategic mistake.

Tehran University lecturer Mohammad Sadegh Koushki said in an interview with the IPTV program Zoom, affiliated with the Fararu website, that Iran had halted military operations just as it had gained the upper hand.

“It’s like a football team that is up by a goal and can score one or two more,” he said. “The momentum of battle was brought to a screeching halt under the name of negotiations and a ceasefire.”

Koushki dismissed the idea that Iran’s conflict with the United States could ultimately be resolved through diplomacy, arguing that years of negotiations had only resulted in greater sanctions and pressure.

Similar arguments appeared across hardline political circles Friday. MP Alireza Salimi said Iran’s control over the Strait of Hormuz was “not negotiable” and that Tehran alone would define and enforce the strait’s “new rules.”

Diplomatic activity nevertheless appeared to intensify throughout Friday as Pakistani Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi returned to Tehran, with CBS citing a senior Pakistani official as saying his meetings had helped negotiations move “in an important direction,” prompting Pakistan’s Field Marshal Asim Munir to join the mediation effort.

Reuters also reported that a Qatari negotiating team arrived in Tehran in coordination with the United States to help secure an agreement aimed at ending the war and resolving outstanding disputes.

Still, similar moments of optimism earlier in 2025 and again in early 2026 ultimately collapsed into waves of US and Israeli strikes on Iran, leaving deep skepticism about the durability of diplomacy.

In a widely circulated post on X, establishment academic Foad Izadi argued that Washington had paid too little a cost for the conflict to abandon long-term pressure on Iran.

“The cycle of attack, ceasefire, negotiation and attack will repeat,” Izadi wrote, warning against rapid concessions or reopening the Strait of Hormuz too quickly.

The remarks reflected broader hardline skepticism toward the diplomatic push even as intensified mediation efforts suggested Tehran and Washington may still see a narrow path toward a limited deal.

Iran says excessive US demands push NPT into free fall

May 23, 2026, 02:31 GMT+1

Iran’s UN mission in New York on Friday accused the United States and its allies of blocking the outcome of the latest Nuclear Non‑Proliferation Treaty Review Conference, saying the gathering failed for the third time in a row.

“US Excessive Demands Push the NPT into Free Fall. The NPT Review Conference failed for the third consecutive time due to obstructionism by the United States and its allies. Iran’s warning: Without nuclear disarmament, no future can be envisaged for the NPT,” it posted on X.

Ivanka Trump targeted for assassination in IRGC linked plot - report

May 23, 2026, 01:04 GMT+1

Ivanka Trump was targeted for assassination by an "Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps‑linked terrorist" in a plot to avenge the 2020 US drone strike that killed Qassem Soleimani, The New York Post reported on Friday, citing intelligence sources.

The Iraqi national, Mohammad Bagher Saad Dawood Al‑Saadi, allegedly pledged to kill Ivanka, had a blueprint of her Florida home, and posted online threats warning that “neither your palaces nor the Secret Service will protect you.”

Al‑Saadi, described as a high‑ranking figure in Iraq‑Iran terror circles, was arrested in Turkey on May 15 and extradited to the US, where he faces charges connected to 18 attacks and attempted attacks in Europe and the United States, including attacks on US and Jewish targets in Amsterdam, London, Toronto, and Belgium, the report said.

Iran War Powers Resolution would tie Trump’s hands in crisis, Lawmaker says

May 23, 2026, 00:43 GMT+1

Republican Representative Dan Crenshaw on Friday warned that the Iran War Powers Resolution would “tie the President’s hands” in the middle of a crisis, saying that removing credible deterrence from the commander in chief during an escalating conflict would only embolden Tehran and the terrorist groups it backs.

"The Iranian regime would love nothing more than for Congress to tie the President’s hands in the middle of a crisis. That’s exactly what the Iran War Powers Resolution would do. Iran has spent decades funding terrorist proxies, murdering Americans, attacking our allies, targeting commercial shipping, and openly chanting “Death to America,” Crenshaw posted on X. "Now some in Congress want to advertise to that regime that they must pre-approve every possible military response. That’s not restraint. That’s strategic stupidity."

US prepares for new military strikes against Iran as talks continue - CBS

May 22, 2026, 23:29 GMT+1

The Trump administration was preparing on Friday for a fresh round of military strikes against Iran, according to sources familiar with the planning, even as indirect diplomacy continues over the longer‑term standoff, CBS reported.

“No final decision on any new strikes had been reached by Friday afternoon, but defense and intelligence officials began updating recall rosters for US bases overseas and some military personnel cancelled Memorial Day weekend plans in anticipation of possible action,” the report added.

Administration officials said that the Pentagon is kept on constant standby to carry out any decision the president may issue, warning that there would be serious consequences if Iran fails to reach a deal, the report said.