• العربية
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • فارسی
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

IRGC warns renewed war could spread beyond region

May 20, 2026, 08:35 GMT+1

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards warned on Wednesday that any renewed strikes on Iran could expand the war beyond the region.

“If aggression against Iran is repeated, the promised regional war will this time be taken beyond the region,” the IRGC said in a statement.

The IRGC said it had not used all its capacities against the United States and Israel, warning of “crushing blows” in places that the adversaries do not expect.

Most Viewed

Iran’s president defends US talks as he lays bare economic strain
1

Iran’s president defends US talks as he lays bare economic strain

2
ANALYSIS

Iran finds a new weapon beneath Hormuz

3

Trump holds off planned Iran strike as Arab allies buy Tehran time

4
ANALYSIS

Two years after Raisi’s crash: Iran has no sanctuary

5

US resident returns home after release from Iran prison

Banner
Banner

Spotlight

  • Tehran unsure whether Trump is bluffing or preparing for war
    INSIGHT

    Tehran unsure whether Trump is bluffing or preparing for war

  • Why Tehran threatens Trump while pursuing diplomacy
    ANALYSIS

    Why Tehran threatens Trump while pursuing diplomacy

  • How an IRGC-linked money laundering network operates from London
    EXCLUSIVE

    How an IRGC-linked money laundering network operates from London

  • Tehran Stock Exchange reopens under tight controls as key firms stay closed
    ANALYSIS

    Tehran Stock Exchange reopens under tight controls as key firms stay closed

  • Tehran and Washington betting the other side blinks first
    INSIGHT

    Tehran and Washington betting the other side blinks first

  • Two years after Raisi’s crash: Iran has no sanctuary
    ANALYSIS

    Two years after Raisi’s crash: Iran has no sanctuary

•
•
•

More Stories

Pezeshkian calls for creative solutions to Iran’s problems

May 20, 2026, 07:39 GMT+1

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said on Wednesday that past methods of governing the country were no longer enough to address all current issues and added that many problems would have already been solved if previous methods alone had been sufficient.

Speaking at a meeting of provincial governors, Pezeshkian said Tehran needed a new approach and creative solutions to overcome its challenges.

“We will either find a way or build a new one,” he said.

South Korean supertanker attempts Hormuz transit - Bloomberg

May 20, 2026, 06:08 GMT+1

A South Korean-flagged supertanker appeared to be attempting to transit the Strait of Hormuz on Wednesday, Bloomberg reported, citing ship-tracking data.

The Universal Winner, carrying Kuwaiti crude, began signaling Wednesday morning that it was in the strait, south of Iran’s Larak Island along a Tehran-approved route for Hormuz transits, the report said.

The very large crude carrier is owned by Seoul-based HMM Co. and was signaling Ulsan, South Korea, as its destination.

Why Tehran threatens Trump while pursuing diplomacy

May 20, 2026, 04:56 GMT+1

Even as Tehran engages in hardheaded diplomatic maneuvering with Washington, it is advancing a parliamentary proposal offering a €50 million reward for President Trump’s killing.

The ruling establishment, they argue, is trying to project strength after weeks of military and political pressure while using the prospect of talks not as a concession but as another arena of confrontation.

“The Iranian regime is trying to, in their own mind, basically say that we are on par,” Dr. Shahram Kholdi, a Middle East historian, told Iran International. “Even if you're not on par with Trump, we are actually beating him at all levels.”

The proposed bounty, he said, should be read partly as psychological warfare against Trump.

Read the full article here.

Tehran unsure whether Trump is bluffing or preparing for war

May 20, 2026, 04:51 GMT+1
•
Maryam Sinaiee

President Donald Trump’s claim that he postponed a planned military strike on Iran has deepened uncertainty in Tehran, where officials and analysts remain divided over whether Washington is bluffing, buying time or preparing for another round of strikes.

Trump said Monday he had postponed an attack planned for Tuesday, before warning the United States remained ready to hit Iran hard.

Kazem Gharibabadi, Iran’s deputy foreign minister for legal and international affairs, wrote on X that “the United States says it has temporarily halted an attack on Iran to give diplomacy a chance, while simultaneously speaking of readiness for a large-scale strike at any moment. This means calling a threat an opportunity for peace.”

He added that the Islamic Republic was prepared to confront “any military aggression” and that “surrender has no meaning” for Iran.

Mohsen Rezaei, an adviser to Iran’s supreme leader and former commander of the Revolutionary Guards (IRGC), accused Trump of setting and then canceling military deadlines in an attempt to force Iran into submission. He warned that Iran’s armed forces would “force America into retreat and surrender.”

Gharibabadi later told members of parliament that Iran’s latest proposal to Washington included demands such as recognition of Iran’s right to uranium enrichment, lifting the US naval blockade, releasing frozen Iranian assets and ending sanctions. He did not provide details about Washington’s response.

Iranian digital outlet Avash Media cited “a source close to the negotiating team” as claiming that Washington had accepted some Iranian conditions, including ending regional conflicts and establishing a reconstruction fund.

On Tuesday, Vice President JD Vance said Washington and Tehran had made “a lot of progress” in talks and that neither side wanted to see a return to war.

Jalal Sadatian, a regional affairs analyst, told the website Fararu that the comments should be viewed “within the framework of the current Iran-US relationship, which is in a phase marked by political attrition and pressure tactics.”

“There is a perception in Tehran that the United States, for now, is using military threats more for political leverage than because it is truly ready for war,” he said.

“Tehran’s calculation is that if it makes major concessions now under maximum pressure, this model could later expand to issues such as missile capabilities and regional influence,” Sadatian added. “Therefore, Iran’s current policy is a combination of restraint, maintaining readiness and continuing protracted negotiations.”

Reformist journalist Ahmad Zeidabadi questioned Trump’s credibility, writing that if the US president’s account was accurate, then “one must seriously doubt the minimum level of rational calculation in him.”

“Does Trump not know what historic catastrophe restarting the war would bring to the entire Persian Gulf region?” Zeidabadi asked. “Was he planning to resume war without consulting allied leaders?”

Still, several analysts and conservative media outlets warned that the possibility of military escalation remains high.

The conservative newspaper Khorasan, which is close to parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, argued that Washington may seek to “unlock negotiations through a limited but effective strike.”

Ehsan Movahedian, a professor of international relations at Allameh Tabataba’i University, told Fararu that “the probability of war in the coming days is very high,” adding that even if conflict does not erupt next week, “that does not mean the danger has disappeared.”

Some Iranian political and media figures argued that the postponement may have had little to do with regional interventions and more to do with operational difficulties.

Ali Gholhaki, a commentator close to Ghalibaf, wrote that “the reason for delaying the attack on Iran appears to be something other than requests from Arab leaders; the United States and Israel are still not certain they can strike their key targets.”

Journalist Davoud Modarresian suggested Pakistani Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi’s extended visit to Iran could be linked to intelligence-gathering efforts.

“Under the pretext of sending messages, they may be trying to track and identify the locations of leaders and commanders,” he wrote.

Xi welcomes Putin in Beijing days after Trump visit

May 20, 2026, 04:30 GMT+1

Chinese President Xi Jinping welcomed Russian President Vladimir Putin in an elaborate ceremony at Beijing’s Great Hall of the People on Tuesday, just days after hosting US President Donald Trump in the Chinese capital.

The meeting comes amid heightened global focus on the war involving Iran and growing uncertainty over whether US-Iran diplomacy can prevent renewed military escalation.

Iran and the future of negotiations between Tehran and Washington are expected to feature prominently in discussions between the Chinese and Russian leaders.