• العربية
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • فارسی
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

Iran rejects CENTCOM claim struck Minab school was on missile site

May 19, 2026, 22:24 GMT+1

Iran rejected as “baseless” a claim by the head of US Central Command that the Minab school struck during the opening day of the war was located within an active Iranian cruise missile base.

"This shameless distortion is a clear attempt to obscure the severe reality of the 28 February missile attacks, which resulted in the tragic slaughtering of over 170 school children and their teachers," foreign ministry spokesman Esmail Baghei wrote on X.

The response came hours after CENTCOM chief Admiral Brad Cooper told Congress the investigation into the deadly strike was “complex” because the girls’ school was situated on an active IRGC cruise missile site.

Reuters previously reported that an initial US military investigation found American forces were likely responsible for the strike on the school in Minab, which Iranian officials say killed more than 160 children and teachers.

Most Viewed

Iran’s president defends US talks as he lays bare economic strain
1

Iran’s president defends US talks as he lays bare economic strain

2

Pezeshkian says Iranians must accept inflation as country is in war

3

Trump holds off planned Iran strike as Arab allies buy Tehran time

4

Amnesty says Iran drove global surge in executions in 2025

5
ANALYSIS

Iran finds a new weapon beneath Hormuz

Banner
Banner

Spotlight

  • Tehran unsure whether Trump is bluffing or preparing for war
    INSIGHT

    Tehran unsure whether Trump is bluffing or preparing for war

  • Why Tehran threatens Trump while pursuing diplomacy
    ANALYSIS

    Why Tehran threatens Trump while pursuing diplomacy

  • How an IRGC-linked money laundering network operated from London
    EXCLUSIVE

    How an IRGC-linked money laundering network operated from London

  • Tehran Stock Exchange reopens under tight controls as key firms stay closed
    ANALYSIS

    Tehran Stock Exchange reopens under tight controls as key firms stay closed

  • Tehran and Washington betting the other side blinks first
    INSIGHT

    Tehran and Washington betting the other side blinks first

  • Two years after Raisi’s crash: Iran has no sanctuary
    ANALYSIS

    Two years after Raisi’s crash: Iran has no sanctuary

•
•
•

More Stories

Tehran Stock Exchange reopens under tight controls as key firms stay closed

May 19, 2026, 21:48 GMT+1
•
Mohamad Machine-Chian

After an 80-day shutdown, the Tehran Stock Exchange reopened on Tuesday under heavy state controls, with 42 major firms still suspended and reported curbs on large-scale selling amid uncertainty over war damage and corporate losses.

Trading resumed on the Tehran Stock Exchange (TSE) under strict and highly managed conditions, with parts of the market reopening while 42 major, mostly export-oriented companies remained suspended.

The restart marked a procedural return to activity, but within a framework designed to tightly control selling pressure and limit volatility.

Steel and petrochemical companies — traditionally among the most influential drivers of the TEDPIX index — did not reopen. These firms were reportedly damaged during the war, yet authorities have not disclosed the extent of the damage, the duration of production halts, insurance coverage details, financing arrangements or reconstruction timelines.

No revised earnings projections have been made public. The absence of such disclosures leaves investors without the information needed to reassess valuations in a post-conflict environment.

At the same time, sectors that did resume trading were already structurally fragile before the conflict began. The banking system had been operating with capital constraints and persistent balance-sheet weaknesses.

The automobile industry was loss-making prior to the war, and supply chain disruptions have further intensified those pressures. Capital market intermediaries are functioning in an economy experiencing near-triple-digit inflation, eroding real returns and complicating asset pricing.

The real estate sector is also under strain due to disrupted supply chains and heightened uncertainty over future economic conditions.

Beyond the selective reopening of companies, several administrative measures were reportedly implemented to prevent heavy selling. According to market reports and brokerage channels, institutional investors were restricted from large-scale share sales, and caps were reportedly imposed on major shareholders in certain symbols.

Some leveraged funds also faced selling limits, with reported restrictions such as 100,000-unit ceilings for particular funds. Meanwhile, a number of stocks were reopened without price fluctuation limits due to disclosure requirements, creating a segmented trading environment rather than a uniform restart.

These measures suggest that the reopening was structured not only to resume transactions but also to manage the behavior of the index. In Tehran, TEDPIX functions as a visible signal of economic stability.

A sharp selloff after the prolonged closure would have carried political as well as financial implications. Containing immediate downward pressure appears to have been a central consideration in the design of the reopening.

However, limiting supply and constraining sales does not eliminate underlying uncertainty. Without transparent disclosure of corporate damage, reconstruction capacity and forward earnings expectations, the process of price discovery remains incomplete.

Instead of allowing the market to fully reprice assets based on updated information, authorities have slowed the adjustment through administrative intervention.

The Tehran Stock Exchange is now formally open. Yet with key exporters still suspended, significant trading restrictions in place and unresolved questions about corporate losses, the market’s reopening reflects controlled stabilization rather than a clear restoration of investor confidence.

Tehran and Washington betting the other side blinks first

May 19, 2026, 21:32 GMT+1
•
Behrouz Turani

The competing narratives surrounding the latest US-Iran standoff have become so stark that even basic questions—who is deterring whom, who wants talks and who fears escalation—now produce entirely different answers depending on which capital is speaking.

On Monday, President Donald Trump said he had halted plans to attack Iran following requests from Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the UAE “and some others in the region.”

The same day, Iran’s state television claimed Trump had backed down from threatening military action “at least five times in recent weeks” because he feared Iran’s “firm response.”

On Tuesday, Trump again underscored the volatility of the standoff, saying the United States “may have to give them another big hit” and claiming Tehran was “begging” for a deal.

Rahman Ghahramanpour, a Middle East politics expert, told Tehran-based Khabar Online that both Tehran and Washington increasingly see the confrontation as a “competition over resilience,” with each believing renewed brinkmanship could strengthen its negotiating position.

Khabar Online journalist Mohammad Aref Moezzi described the current dynamic as a familiar “neither war nor peace” scenario: sustained pressure and confrontation without a clear decision to escalate into full conflict or pursue a comprehensive agreement.

Both sides, he argued, still believe they can force concessions without paying the cost of war.

For Iran’s leadership, the overriding objective remains survival and persuading Washington to abandon any notion of regime change.

Ghahramanpour argues that Tehran is trapped in a struggle for survival while Washington faces what he calls a “credibility trap.” The United States wants a visible strategic victory; the Islamic Republic increasingly treats simple endurance as success.

Despite striking numerous military targets in Iran, Washington has yet to achieve a major political breakthrough. In the United States, particularly amid partisan rivalries, that is often framed as a failure for Trump. In Iran, the same reality is presented as proof the Islamic Republic withstood American pressure.

He also noted that many in Israel believe Trump’s presidency may represent the best opportunity to secure full US cooperation against Iran, adding to pressure for a more decisive confrontation before political circumstances change.

The widening gap between Iranian and American perceptions has effectively frozen negotiations.

Although some hardliners in Tehran advocate pre-emptive action, the government appears unwilling to be seen as the side that starts a war.

Washington, meanwhile, continues tightening sanctions and maintaining pressure while also signaling that military action remains an option if diplomacy stalls.

Another Iranian scholar, Ali Asghar Zargar, told Fararu on Tuesday that neither side benefits from the current deadlock.

He described the standoff as a mix of attrition, geopolitical rivalry and competing political narratives in which Iran remains under heavy pressure while the United States has yet to achieve its core objectives.

Zargar also argued that Washington cannot realistically use the Strait of Hormuz as a unilateral pressure tool given the global dependence on the waterway, warning that the longer the impasse continues, the greater the risk of escalation or miscalculation.

What increasingly unites both Iranian and American analysts is the sense that the current stalemate may be unstable, and that neither side has yet found a credible path out of it.

Trump held meeting on Iran war plans after halting attack - Axios

May 19, 2026, 19:42 GMT+1

US President Donald Trump convened a meeting on Iran with his top national security team on Monday evening that included a briefing on military options, Axios reported citing two US officials.

The meeting came hours after Trump announced he was suspending attacks he said had been planned for Tuesday.

Axios cited US officials as saying Trump had not made a final decision to strike Iran before announcing the pause, though some officials had expected him to decide on military action at the meeting.

The report cited US officials and regional sources as saying Trump held off partly because several Arab leaders raised concerns about possible Iranian retaliation against oil facilities and infrastructure.

A US source close to Trump cited by Axios said that Iran hawks who spoke to the president believed “he is in the mood of cracking their head open to get them to move in the negotiations.”

US seizes Iran-linked oil tanker in Indian Ocean - WSJ

May 19, 2026, 19:30 GMT+1

The United States seized an Iran-linked oil tanker in the Indian Ocean overnight as President Donald Trump threatened to resume military strikes on Iran, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing three US officials.

The tanker, Skywave, was sanctioned by the US in March for transporting Iranian oil, the report said.

Ship-tracking data showed the vessel sailing west of Malaysia on Tuesday after transiting the Malacca Strait, according to the WSJ.

The vessel was likely carrying more than 1 million barrels of crude loaded at Iran’s Kharg Island in February, the report said, citing brokers and Lloyd’s List Intelligence data.

Egypt FM says possible US-Iran memorandum could pave way for future talks

May 19, 2026, 18:23 GMT+1

Egypt’s Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty said the United States and Iran were discussing a possible memorandum of understanding that could set the terms for future negotiations, in an interview with CNN’s Christiane Amanpour.

“What we are talking about now is hopefully to sign a (memorandum of understanding) between the US and Iran,” Abdelatty said.

“That could lead the way for setting the parameters, the principles, that would be subject to negotiations later on,” he added.