• العربية
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • فارسی
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

Iran dental costs soar, deepening healthcare affordability crisis

May 19, 2026, 09:20 GMT+1
File photo shows a dentist treating a patient at a clinic in Iran, where rising inflation and declining purchasing power have made dental care increasingly unaffordable for many families.
File photo shows a dentist treating a patient at a clinic in Iran, where rising inflation and declining purchasing power have made dental care increasingly unaffordable for many families.

Dental treatment costs in Iran have surged in recent months, with industry officials warning that inflation and rising import costs are pushing basic care beyond the reach of many households.

Prices for some dental implants have nearly doubled over the past few months, according to Farid Hashemnejad, head of the Iranian Dental Technicians Association, who said clinics and laboratories are struggling to absorb mounting costs while maintaining service quality.

“Some implant procedures that previously cost around 300 million rials (around $165) are now almost twice as expensive,” Hashemnejad told Rouydad24 on Monday. “In some areas, raw material prices have risen by up to 100%.”

Dental care in Iran has long received limited support from the social security system, leaving most patients to cover major treatment costs themselves. The latest increases add pressure to households, already grappling with years of inflation and declining purchasing power.

Hashemnejad said imported materials used in dentistry and dental laboratories have become significantly more expensive in recent months, although severe shortages have not yet fully emerged because clinics are still relying on older inventories.

“So far, serious shortages are not being felt because existing stock is still being used,” he said. “But with some items becoming more difficult to obtain, more problems may appear in the coming months.”

Iran, he said, remains heavily dependent on imported dental materials sourced mainly from China, along with Turkey, Japan, South Korea and several European countries.

While domestic production has improved in recent years, Hashemnejad said Iranian-made materials still cannot fully replace imported products across specialized fields.

“We would also prefer to depend less on imports, but the reality is that most of the materials we need are still imported,” he said.

File photo from a dental clinic in Iran, where soaring prices and economic pressure have left many unable to afford routine dental treatment.
100%
File photo from a dental clinic in Iran, where soaring prices and economic pressure have left many unable to afford routine dental treatment.

According to Hashemnejad, prices for some imported materials used in removable dental treatments and laminate procedures have risen between 80% and 90%, while resin and acrylic materials used in prosthetic work have also recorded sharp increases.

Patients shift toward lower-cost care

The rise in prices is also changing treatment choices, with many patients abandoning implant-based procedures or internationally recognized brands in favor of cheaper alternatives.

“Naturally, when costs increase, the number of patients also declines,” Hashemnejad said. “This directly affects clinics and dental laboratories.”

He warned that continued price increases could eventually push part of the population out of the dental care market entirely, creating further strain for healthcare providers already facing weaker demand and higher operating costs.

Most Viewed

Shared housing spreads in Iran’s deepening rent crisis
1

Shared housing spreads in Iran’s deepening rent crisis

2

Iran’s president defends US talks as he lays bare economic strain

3

Pezeshkian says Iranians must accept inflation as country is in war

4

Amnesty says Iran drove global surge in executions in 2025

5

IRGC-linked propaganda posts targeted across platforms, Europol says

Banner
Banner

Spotlight

  • Iran’s café culture buckles as everyday life contracts
    INSIGHT

    Iran’s café culture buckles as everyday life contracts

  • China’s Iran balancing act grows more costly
    ANALYSIS

    China’s Iran balancing act grows more costly

  • Tehran media sees rising risk of war as US talks stall
    INSIGHT

    Tehran media sees rising risk of war as US talks stall

  • Xi may help Trump on Iran, but at a price
    ANALYSIS

    Xi may help Trump on Iran, but at a price

  • How one Tehran hospital became a window into Iran’s January massacre
    SPECIAL REPORT

    How one Tehran hospital became a window into Iran’s January massacre

  • Drug prices jump up to 400% as shortages strain Iranian pharmacies

    Drug prices jump up to 400% as shortages strain Iranian pharmacies

•
•
•

More Stories

US resident returns home after release from Iran prison

May 19, 2026, 08:09 GMT+1

Shahab Dalili, a US permanent resident jailed in Iran for nearly a decade after traveling there for his father’s funeral, has returned to Washington following his release from Tehran’s Evin prison, Hostage Aid Worldwide said on Monday.

“After a long journey from Evin to Yerevan to DC, we joyfully announce that Shahab Dalili is finally home safe with his family after a decade+ of wrongful detention in Iran,” the advocacy group wrote on X, adding that his relatives now hope he can “reintegrate smoothly into normal life.”

Dalili, a former captain with Iran’s state shipping company who later settled in the United States with his wife and two sons, traveled to Tehran in 2016 to attend his father’s funeral. He was arrested before reaching the airport for his return flight to Virginia.

Iranian authorities later sentenced him to 10 years in prison on charges including espionage and cooperation with what Iranian courts described as a hostile government, referring to the United States.

AI-enhanced photo of Shahab Dalili.
100%
AI-enhanced photo of Shahab Dalili.

Dalili’s case drew attention during a 2023 prisoner exchange between Iran and the United States that secured the release of five detained Americans. His family publicly questioned why he had been excluded from the agreement despite years of appeals to successive US administrations.

His son Darian Dalili said at the time that the family received little information from Washington beyond assurances that officials were monitoring the case. The US government also never formally designated Dalili as “wrongfully detained,” a status that can increase diplomatic pressure for a prisoner’s release.

Hostage Aid Worldwide did not specify the terms of Dalili’s release or whether it was linked to negotiations between Tehran and Washington.

Trump holds off planned Iran strike as Arab allies buy Tehran time

May 18, 2026, 22:27 GMT+1

US President Donald Trump said Monday he had halted a strike on Iran planned for Tuesday after Arab states including Tehran’s new foe the UAE urged him to allow more time for talks, even as reports said Tehran’s latest proposal had fallen short of US expectations.

Trump said Qatar’s emir, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and UAE President Mohammed bin Zayed asked him to delay the attack, which he said had been planned for Tuesday, because they believed a deal could be reached that would be “very acceptable” to the United States, the Middle East and beyond.

“This Deal will include, importantly, NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN!” Trump said in a post on Truth Social.

He said he instructed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Daniel Caine and the US military not to carry out the strike, but warned that the order could be reversed if talks fail.

“I have further instructed them to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached,” Trump said.

The diplomatic push came as details emerged about Tehran’s latest proposal to Washington.

Earlier in the day, Reuters reported, citing a senior Iranian source, that Tehran’s latest proposal calls for a permanent end to the war, sanctions relief, the release of all frozen Iranian funds and the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, while leaving nuclear talks for later stages.

The source said Washington had so far agreed only to unfreeze 25% of Iran’s funds on a phased timetable, but had shown flexibility over limits on Tehran’s nuclear work.

Reconstruction fund for Iran

Iran's Revolutionary Guards-affiliated Tasnim news agency separately reported, citing a source close to Tehran's negotiating team, that Washington had proposed establishing a reconstruction and development fund and had accepted suspending Iran’s oil sanctions during negotiations through temporary waivers issued by the US Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control.

Tasnim also said major gaps remained between the two sides, particularly over the release of frozen Iranian funds and Tehran’s demand for compensation over the war.

The source said Iran rejected linking an end to the conflict to nuclear commitments and insisted Tehran would “by no means agree to ending the war in exchange for nuclear commitments.”

The claims of sanctions relief were quickly disputed in Washington. CNBC reporter Megan Cassella said a US official denied the report, saying Iranian state media claims that Washington had agreed to lift oil sanctions during talks were false.

Axios also reported, citing a senior US official and a source briefed on the issue, that Iran’s updated proposal was insufficient because it lacked detailed commitments on suspending uranium enrichment or handing over its stockpile of highly enriched uranium.

The US official cited by Axios said no sanctions relief would happen “for free” without reciprocal action by Iran, warning that talks may otherwise continue “through bombs.”

Trump later told the New York Post he was “not open” to concessions to Tehran and suggested Iran understood the risk of further US action.

“I can tell you they want to make a deal more than ever, because they know we’re—what’s going to be happening soon,” Trump said.

Amnesty says Iran drove global surge in executions in 2025

May 18, 2026, 11:12 GMT+1

Amnesty International said on Monday that executions worldwide rose to their highest recorded level in more than four decades in 2025, with the Islamic Republic responsible for the vast majority of the increase.

At least 2,707 people were executed across 17 countries in 2025, the rights group said in its annual report on the global use of the death penalty, describing the figure as the highest recorded since it began tracking executions in 1981.

Iranian authorities carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025, more than double the figure recorded the previous year and by far the largest contributor to the global rise, according to the report.

“A shameless minority are weaponizing the death penalty to instill fear, crush dissent and punish marginalized communities,” Amnesty Secretary General Agnès Callamard said.

Drug-related executions drove increase

A resurgence of punitive anti-drug policies, Amnesty said, fueled much of the increase in executions globally.

  • Abroad they talk, at home they hang

    Abroad they talk, at home they hang

Nearly half of all known executions in 2025 – 1,257 cases – were linked to drug-related offenses, including in Iran, China, Saudi Arabia, Singapore and Kuwait.

Iran accounted for 998 of those executions, the highest number among countries identified in the report.

Saudi Arabia carried out at least 356 executions in 2025 and made extensive use of capital punishment in drug-related cases, Amnesty said.

The organization also reported increases in executions in several other countries, with Kuwait nearly tripling its total from six to 17 executions. Egypt’s number rose from 13 to 23, Singapore’s from nine to 17 and the United States from 25 to 47.

The report did not include the thousands of executions Amnesty believes continued to take place in China, which it said remained the world’s leading executioner.

Executing states remain minority

Despite the sharp rise in executions, Amnesty said countries carrying out the death penalty remained “an isolated minority.”

China, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, the United States, Vietnam and Yemen have all carried out executions every year for the past five years, according to the report.

Four countries resumed executions in 2025 – Japan, South Sudan, Taiwan and the United Arab Emirates – bringing the total number of executing states to 17.

“It’s time for executing countries to step into line with the rest of the world and leave this abhorrent practice in the past,” Callamard said.

Amnesty highlights abolition efforts

The global trend toward abolishing the death penalty nevertheless continued, Amnesty said.

When the organization began campaigning against capital punishment in 1977, only 16 countries had abolished it. That number has now risen to 113, according to the report.

  • Iran executes at least five in week of wartime crackdown

    Iran executes at least five in week of wartime crackdown

Vietnam abolished the death penalty for eight offenses including drug transportation, bribery and embezzlement, while Gambia removed capital punishment for murder, treason and other offenses against the state.

The organization also pointed to legislative efforts in Lebanon and Nigeria aimed at abolishing the death penalty, while Kyrgyzstan’s Constitutional Court ruled attempts to restore executions unconstitutional.

“With human rights under threat around the world, millions of people continue to fight against the death penalty each year in a powerful demonstration of our shared humanity,” Callamard said.

IRGC-linked propaganda posts targeted across platforms, Europol says

May 18, 2026, 11:12 GMT+1

Europol said on Monday that 14,200 posts and links tied to Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) had been targeted in a coordinated operation against online terrorist material.

The operation, led by Europol’s EU Internet Referral Unit, involved 19 countries and focused on content used to spread propaganda, recruit supporters and raise funds.

The material, Europol said, appeared across social media, streaming services, blogs and websites in several languages, including Persian, English, Arabic, French and Spanish.

The content, it said, included AI-generated videos glorifying the IRGC, political messaging, calls for revenge over Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei and material linked to allied groups including Hezbollah, Houthis, Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad.

Europol said the IRGC’s main X account, which had more than 150,000 followers, was withheld in the EU, while thousands of other links had been removed or were under review.

Investigators also identified cryptocurrency transactions used to support online operations, Europol said.

Pezeshkian says Iranians must accept inflation as country is in war

May 18, 2026, 10:13 GMT+1

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said on Monday that Iranians should expect inflation, shortages and economic hardship because the country is at war and facing mounting pressure on its energy infrastructure and oil exports.

“We will definitely have inflation,” Pezeshkian said at a gathering of public relations officials from state institutions.

“We are fighting and we must accept the hardship that comes with it.”

Some critics questioned why prices continued to rise, Pezeshkian said, but argued that economic pain was unavoidable under the current circumstances.

They want to have their cake and eat it too, he said, using a Persian idiom.

The war between the United States, Israel and Iran began with coordinated US-Israeli strikes on Iranian military, nuclear and government targets on February 28. Iran launched missile and drone attacks targeting Israel, the US allies in the region and their infrastructure, while tensions around the Strait of Hormuz disrupted global energy market.

Although direct fighting has eased amid ceasefire and mediation efforts, tensions remain high as disputes over Iran’s nuclear program, sanctions, regional influence and maritime security continue without a lasting diplomatic breakthrough.

  • Can Iran’s economy survive a twin squeeze from blockade and blackout?

    Can Iran’s economy survive a twin squeeze from blockade and blackout?

The president also opened his remarks with an unusual comment hinting at a lack of control over his own movements and schedule.

“I myself did not know where they were taking me. Suddenly they brought me here,” Pezeshkian said.

Damage and shortages acknowledged

Iran, Pezeshkian said, had suffered serious economic and infrastructure damage and could not pretend conditions were normal.

“It is not the case that we have not been harmed,” he said. “We must take on a wartime condition.”

Attacks, he said, had damaged around 230 million cubic meters of gas infrastructure as well as power plants, petrochemical facilities and major industrial sites, including Iran’s largest steel producer.

“We cannot say the enemy is collapsing and we are flourishing,” he said. “They have problems and we have problems too.”

The president said the public need to lower expectations and reduce consumption in order to withstand the situation.

Oil exports and fuel production under pressure

Pezeshkian also acknowledged growing difficulties in exporting Iranian oil and securing revenues under sanctions and regional pressure.

“They blocked the way and we are not exporting oil either,” he said. “We cannot export oil easily.”

Shoppers buy fruit and vegetables at a market in Tehran amid rising food prices. (undated)
100%
Shoppers buy fruit and vegetables at a market in Tehran amid rising food prices.

Tax collection, he added, had become increasingly difficult because businesses and trade sectors were under economic strain.

Pezeshkian warned that fuel shortages and inflation would worsen without tighter management of energy consumption, saying gasoline production had fallen after damage to production facilities.

“Our gasoline production capacity has fallen. They hit it,” he said.

According to Pezeshkian, Iran currently produces around 100 million liters of gasoline per day while domestic demand has reached roughly 150 million liters daily.

“Do we even have the dollars to import gasoline and burn it?” he said.

The president called for stricter management of water, electricity, gas and gasoline consumption, saying economic problems, unemployment and inflation would deepen without conservation measures.

  • Iran taps reserves again as inflation bites and layoffs mount

    Iran taps reserves again as inflation bites and layoffs mount