• العربية
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • فارسی
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

Iranian lawmaker says deal with US is close, sees potential for energy investment

May 6, 2025, 07:39 GMT+1

An Iranian lawmaker said a deal between Tehran and Washington is within reach, despite internal opposition in both countries, and suggested Iran could seek US guarantees for investment in its power sector.

"The agreement is close and will happen," said Ahmad Bakhshayesh Ardestani, a member of Iran's parliamentary national security and foreign policy commission, in an interview with ILNA on Tuesday. He added that “based on available evidence and variables,” he believes the talks will yield results.

The lawmaker said that while hardliners in the US may oppose negotiations, there is political will in Iran to reach an agreement.

Bakhshayesh also said Iran could ask for US guarantees to support investment in its electricity industry, calling it a strategic sector needing foreign participation.

MP Ahmad Bakhshayesh Ardestani
100%
MP Ahmad Bakhshayesh Ardestani

Most Viewed

Iran finds a new weapon beneath Hormuz
1
ANALYSIS

Iran finds a new weapon beneath Hormuz

2
INSIGHT

How Iran’s blackout warps online picture of public opinion

3
EXCLUSIVE

How an IRGC-linked money laundering network operates from London

4
ANALYSIS

Two years after Raisi’s crash: Iran has no sanctuary

5
INSIGHT

Tehran unsure whether Trump is bluffing or preparing for war

Banner
Banner

Spotlight

  • Calls for pragmatism grow in Iran but rulers appear unmoved
    INSIGHT

    Calls for pragmatism grow in Iran but rulers appear unmoved

  • How Iran’s blackout warps online picture of public opinion
    INSIGHT

    How Iran’s blackout warps online picture of public opinion

  • Tehran unsure whether Trump is bluffing or preparing for war
    INSIGHT

    Tehran unsure whether Trump is bluffing or preparing for war

  • Why Tehran threatens Trump while pursuing diplomacy
    ANALYSIS

    Why Tehran threatens Trump while pursuing diplomacy

  • How an IRGC-linked money laundering network operates from London
    EXCLUSIVE

    How an IRGC-linked money laundering network operates from London

  • Tehran Stock Exchange reopens under tight controls as key firms stay closed
    ANALYSIS

    Tehran Stock Exchange reopens under tight controls as key firms stay closed

•
•
•

More Stories

China’s plastic makers may lose Iranian methanol - Bloomberg

May 6, 2025, 07:20 GMT+1

Iranian methanol exports to China could come under US scrutiny after Washington warned of secondary sanctions on Iranian oil and petrochemicals buyers, Bloomberg reported on Tuesday.

About 40% of China’s methanol imports — some 5.2 million tons in 2024 — came from Iran, data from shipping analytics firm Kpler shows.

Methanol, used to produce plastics, is a key feedstock for China’s methanol-to-olefin (MTO) plants, which are major buyers of Iranian cargoes, according to ICIS, a global market intelligence firm.

"Iranian methanol is almost the only efficient way for coastal MTO units to get enough supply," said Ann Sun, senior analyst at ICIS.

US President Donald Trump last week said countries or firms that buy Iranian oil or petrochemicals could face immediate sanctions. The US has already targeted Iranian energy exports and Chinese refineries allegedly involved in such trade.

Although some Iranian methanol reaches China via third countries like the UAE or Oman, further sanctions could disrupt flows.

US aims to hold fourth round of talks with Iran this weekend, White House envoy says

May 6, 2025, 07:00 GMT+1

The United States is working to schedule the fourth round of nuclear talks with Iran for this weekend, Axios reporter Barak Ravid reported citing White House envoy Steve Witkoff.

“If it doesn’t happen, it’s only because of the president’s trip to the Middle East,” Witkoff said.

Describing the negotiations as positive, Witkoff added, “We are making some progress. I hope it is moving in the right direction. The president wants to see this solved diplomatically if possible, so we’re doing everything we can to get it going.”

US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff
100%
US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff

Tehran-linked suspect among Iranians held in UK terror plot investigation

May 6, 2025, 04:00 GMT+1

At least one of the five Iranian nationals arrested in the United Kingdom over the weekend in connection with an alleged terror plot has close ties to the Islamic Republic, The Telegraph reported citing an informed source.

The man, whose family reportedly owns prominent businesses in Iran, is described as “very well connected” to Tehran’s leadership.

His arrest was part of a coordinated national operation involving Counter Terrorism Policing and UK Special Forces that resulted in raids across several cities, including London, Rochdale, Manchester, Stockport, and Swindon, according to the Met Police.

Authorities believe the group was just hours away from launching an attack on what police described as a “specific premises.”

Four of the men, aged between 29 and 46, continue to be held under the Terrorism Act 2006 after police secured extended detention warrants. A fifth man, aged 24 and arrested in Manchester, has been released on conditional bail.

The potential involvement of the Iranian suspects in a plot marks a concerning shift in Iran’s tactics, which have typically relied on criminal proxies to carry out operations abroad.

This case, if confirmed, could point to a more direct engagement in overseas activities by Iranian nationals themselves.

Commander Dominic Murphy, head of the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command, said the investigation remains in its early stages but stressed its complexity and national scale.

“We are working incredibly hard, with public safety at the forefront of our ongoing efforts,” he said, urging the public to avoid speculation and report any suspicious activity.

Home Secretary Yvette Cooper praised the work of security services, calling it one of the most significant counter-terrorism and counter-state threat operations in recent years.

Sectarian rhetoric, criticism of US talks on state media raise hackles

May 5, 2025, 21:08 GMT+1
•
Behrouz Turani

Iran’s state-run television is facing sharp criticism from senior clerics and political figures over inflammatory religious commentary and what they call biased coverage of negotiations with the United States.

“A fundamentalist group runs state TV behind the scenes,” moderate cleric and former MP Rasoul Montajabnia asserted last week, pointing to a recent broadcast that insulted Sunni Muslims. “(They) deliberately seek to sow discord among Muslims.”

On a daytime live show last week, a guest recited a derogatory poem about Abu Bakr, the first caliph of Islam. The network later issued an apology, removed the episode from all its platforms and opened an investigation.

The measures were deemed too little too late by several prominent clerics who accused the Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB) of insulting religious sanctities.

Leading theologian Hossein Nouri Hamadani questioned the decisions made at IRIB. “There are many learned clerics at the seminary … It is unclear why the network invites those who make unfounded statements about Islam,” he said late last week.

At least two more prominent clerics, Hossein Ansarian and Hashem Hosseini Bushehri, weighed in on the subject, urging the broadcaster to change course.

This level of public criticism from within is rare—and significant—because the head of Iran’s state television is directly appointed by the Supreme Leader, and its political output is closely monitored by his office.

Even the IRGC-affiliated Tasnim News denounced certain broadcasts as “examples of bad taste,” leaving little choice for IRIB officials to issue rare public apologies—to viewers, authorities, and even neighboring countries.

“I do not deny there are oversights and mistakes,” IRIB chief Payman Jebelli told moderate conservative outlet Khabar Online, affirming his reverence for the clergy and their concerns.

Curiously, Khabar Online had carried an editorial alleging that “radical groups have infiltrated the national network,” and are driving the public away with their biased coverage of politics, especially the nuclear talks with the administration of US president Donald Trump.

Shortly after the second round of talks last month, state TV aired a live show in which an ultraconservative commentator warned of dire consequences including civil war if Tehran's engagement with the Trump administration continued.

“We have tried to deliver accurate news and stay aligned with the negotiators,” Jebelli told Khabar Online when asked about the show, adding IRIB backed the government in general even though some programs may contradict official policy.

Much of the criticism against the broadcaster has centered on Vahid Jalili—a senior IRIB official whose brother Saeed Jalili is the face and voice of Iran’s ultraconservatism and once led Tehran’s nuclear negotiations.

The brothers are seen by moderates as key to IRIB’s vision and direction.

The backlash against the state broadcaster, amplified by religious authorities and hardline outlets, suggests a growing divide not just between factions within the political elite, but potentially within the very institutions that project and preserve the state’s ideological authority.

“This should never have happened on a platform that’s under the leader’s supervision,” Montajabnia told Khabar Online, accusing the hardline faction of defying Ali Khamenei.

Asked if IRIB chief Jebelli could intervene to stop the broadcaster’s drive against the administration of president Masoud Pezeshkian, he said: “Only the supreme leader can resolve this.”

UK maneuvers for greater role in Iran talks amid security tensions

May 5, 2025, 19:12 GMT+1

As Tehran and Washington cautiously inch forward their nuclear negotiations, the United Kingdom is positioning for a stronger hand in shaping any potential agreement amid Iranian-linked security threats and a standoff over detained Britons.

British Foreign Secretary David Lammy’s high-level meetings with Omani officials on April 27—just one day after Iran and the United States held indirect talks in Rome under Omani mediation—underscored the United Kingdom's efforts not to remain a bystander in one of the region’s most consequential diplomatic processes.

Read more