• العربية
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Live TV
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Live TV
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • فارسی
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Live TV
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

Iran assessing threats and opportunities in Trump’s letter – foreign minister

Mar 20, 2025, 10:25 GMT+0
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi

Iran will consider the opportunities as well as the threats in the recent letter from US President Donald Trump, and will soon respond, Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said on Thursday.

Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei rejected Trump's letter last week as deceptive, saying Trump's demands would intensify sanctions and increase pressure on Iran.

Araghchi said Tehran was still evaluating the letter and weighing its response. "Trump’s letter was more a threat, but it claims to offer opportunities. We paid attention to all points in the letter and will consider both threat and opportunity in our response.”

"There is an opportunity behind every menace."

Araghchi said Tehran would respond to Trump's letter in the coming days via appropriate channels, rejecting any direct negotiations as long as Washington levels pressure, threats and sanctions.

On Wednesday, Axios reported that Trump's letter gave Iran a two-month deadline to reach a nuclear deal or face stricter sanctions under the US President's renewed maximum pressure campaign.

In his first term, Trump withdrew the US from the 2015 JCPOA nuclear deal between Iran and major powers that had placed strict limits on Tehran's nuclear activities in exchange for sanctions relief.

After Trump's withdrawal in 2018 and re-imposition of sanctions, Iran breached and far surpassed the agreement's limits in the development of its nuclear program.

Western powers accuse Iran of seeking nuclear weapons by enriching uranium up to 60% purity, above what they say is justifiable for a civilian program.

Tehran says the development of its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes and that it respects its commitments under international law.

Most Viewed

Canada deports former Iranian official linked to 2019 protest crackdown
1

Canada deports former Iranian official linked to 2019 protest crackdown

2

Iran weighs attacks on military targets in Europe – FT

3
ANALYSIS

The 60-day deadline is over. Now what does Trump do with Iran?

4
INSIGHT

Forced to serve in the IRGC, now fighting to stay in Canada

5
OPINION

For Iranian journalists, exile can last a lifetime

Banner
Banner
Banner

Spotlight

  • Luxury Tehran property asking prices surpass Munich and Sydney

    Luxury Tehran property asking prices surpass Munich and Sydney

  • For Iranian journalists, exile can last a lifetime
    OPINION

    For Iranian journalists, exile can last a lifetime

  • Seven months on, January protests still shape Iranians’ lives
    VOICES FROM IRAN

    Seven months on, January protests still shape Iranians’ lives

  • Forced to serve in the IRGC, now fighting to stay in Canada
    INSIGHT

    Forced to serve in the IRGC, now fighting to stay in Canada

  • Iran’s ‘infiltration’ bill sparks backlash over sweeping reach

    Iran’s ‘infiltration’ bill sparks backlash over sweeping reach

  • To survive maximum pressure, Iran kept pumping and broke its oil company
    ANALYSIS

    To survive maximum pressure, Iran kept pumping and broke its oil company