Following an armed attack at the Azerbaijani embassy in Tehran, there are contradictory statement about motives, with Iran personal reasons led to the attack and Azerbaijan hinting at a terrorist act.
Azerbaijan summoned the Iranian ambassador and media in Baku seemed eager to portray the incident as a terror attack, claiming the assailant was a member of the Revolutionary Guard.
Azerbaijani media outlet Trend News Agency reported on Friday that the attacker, who entered the embassy, opened fire and killed the head of the security, was identified as Iranian citizen Yasin Hosseinzadeh.
According to Trend's information, “the perpetrator of the incident, Yasin Hosseinzadeh, is an Iranian citizen, and there are suspicions that he is related to Iran's special services, especially the IRGC,” Trend wrote. It added that Iranian security forces guarding the embassy did not try to stop the attack.
Footage of surveillance cameras released on social media clearly shows that the gunman got out of a car with an AK-47 assault alone and entered the embassy after uttering a few words to the Iranian guard outside. Trend claims that he planned to embark on a killing spree at the embassy before he was neutralized.
Tehran’s police chief said earlier in the day, “This individual today morning entered the Azerbaijani embassy with a gun and opened fire and in this incident one person was killed and two were injured,” adding, “With quick police action the individual was arrested, and an investigation is under way. The person entered the embassy with his two small children. He has indicated that he had personal and family difficulties.” The police claimed he was accompanied by a seven-year-old and a 14-year-old and was looking for his wife who was “hiding” inside the embassy.
However, video footage shows he entered the embassy alone and no children were visible.
Another article in Trend described the terrorist incident as “part of Iran's policy of hostility towards Azerbaijan.” A deputy of the country’s parliament said, "Iranian televisions and radios continuously promote hostility towards Azerbaijan. This once again shows that the Iranian state has a hand in the terrorist incident at the embassy, because it is known that Iran has always been a nest of terrorism and is one of the main countries that support terrorism. The terrorist incident against our embassy proved this once again."
According to the news outlet, “Iranian authorities are trying to avoid a thorough investigation of the attack.”
A couple of hours after the attack, the Islamic Republic’s new police chief Ahmad-Reza Radan announced a new police commander for the capital Tehran: Abas-Ali Mohammadian. A former head of the Law Enforcement Forces in Alborz province, Mohammadian was sanctioned by the EU and UK last year.
Several officials for Azerbaijan and other countries have condemned the attack, urging investigation into the incident and punishment for the perpetrator.
President Ilham Aliyev issued a statement in connection with the terrorist attack, decrying the assault and expressing sympathy with the family of First Lieutenant Orkhan Rizvan oglu Teymurov, who lost his life defending the embassy.
Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Jeyhun Bayramov said, "We strongly condemn the treacherous terrorist attack against the Embassy of Azerbaijan in Iran. We offer our condolences to the family and loved ones of our deceased officer. The perpetrators of the terrorist attack and its customers should be punished as soon as possible,”
Minister of Foreign Affairs of Türkiye Mevlut Cavushoglu also held a phone conversation with his Azerbaijani counterpart, during which he strongly condemned the treacherous terrorist attack.
Following the attack, Italy, Argentina, Belarus, Georgia, Slovakia, and many other countries have been condemning the incident.
Israel's former ambassador to Azerbaijan, Artur Lenk, said this on his Twitter account, "How terrible. I express my deepest condolences to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Azerbaijan. Is anyone surprised why this happened in Iran?"
Secretary General of the Council of Europe Marija Pejcinovic Buric said on twitter, "I strongly condemn today’s attack against Azerbaijan’s Embassy in Tehran. Attacks against diplomatic missions are unacceptable. I express my solidarity with Azerbaijan and my condolences for the victims."
Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Nasser Kanaani also condemned the attack, saying, "Upon the order of political and security officials, the issue is being pursued with top priority and sensitivity so that aspects of the incident and the motivation of the attacker become clear."