• العربية
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Live TV
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Live TV
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • فارسی
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Live TV
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

Classified warning projected up to 3,000 deaths at Khamenei funeral - Die Welt

Jul 4, 2026, 08:53 GMT+1
A view from Tehran’s Mosalla where Ali Khamenei’s week-long funeral ceremonies started on July 4, 2026
A view from Tehran’s Mosalla where Ali Khamenei’s week-long funeral ceremonies started on July 4, 2026

Iranian authorities are preparing for the possibility that Ali Khamenei’s week-long funeral ceremonies could leave between 1,500 and 3,000 people dead, Germany’s WELT reported, citing a classified document and municipal sources in Tehran.

The report, written from Tehran by an anonymous author whose identity is known to WELT’s editors, said officials have drawn up contingency plans for a possible mass-casualty disaster during the processions for the slain former Supreme Leader.

According to WELT, a classified letter from the Iranian Red Crescent and the national crisis management organization to First Vice President Mohammad-Reza Aref projected between 1,500 and 3,000 possible deaths.

The report said a special unit had been set up to handle the dead and missing, while thousands of new graves had been prepared at Tehran’s Behesht-e Zahra cemetery.

One Tehran municipality employee, identified under a pseudonym for security reasons, told WELT that colleagues in the city’s crisis headquarters had confirmed the preparations.

“The prepared graves really exist,” she was quoted as saying. “Those responsible were told that up to 3,000 dead would be okay. With such a large crowd and this extreme heat, no one knows what will happen.”

The claims have not been independently confirmed.

Khamenei’s funeral ceremonies began in Tehran on Saturday and are expected to continue through Qom, the Iraqi cities of Najaf and Karbala, and finally Mashhad, where he is due to be buried on Thursday.

WELT said the authorities were planning a sweeping security and logistical operation in Tehran, including movement restrictions, possible disruption to air travel, thousands of buses, temporary kitchens and the use of schools and mosques to house participants.

The report said officials had spoken of as many as 20 million people attending, a figure that is difficult to verify and is often used by Iranian authorities to portray state ceremonies as displays of mass support.

According to WELT, Tehran Municipality, led by hardline mayor Alireza Zakani, is playing a central role in the preparations, deploying 11,000 buses and keeping metro and bus rapid transit lines free and operating around the clock.

Municipal employees told the newspaper that each Tehran district had been allocated the equivalent of around 500,000 to 650,000 euros for the three days of ceremonies, excluding additional funds for bodies such as the fire department, parks organization, transport authorities and construction units.

Government-linked journalists cited by WELT estimated the budget at about 15 million euros for Tehran alone, with another five million euros each for Qom and Mashhad. With ceremonies also planned in Najaf and Karbala, the report said the funeral could become one of the most expensive state burials in modern history.

The scale of the preparations has raised concern because Iran has a recent history of deadly funeral crushes. At least 56 people were killed and more than 200 injured during the 2020 funeral for IRGC commander Qasem Soleimani in Kerman, while Ruhollah Khomeini’s 1989 funeral also descended into chaos, leaving at least eight people dead and hundreds injured.

WELT also described deep political tension around the ceremonies, saying radical supporters of the Islamic Republic have used nightly gatherings to denounce the US-Iran memorandum and threaten senior officials involved in negotiations, including Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf.

Some participants have demanded continued war to avenge Khamenei’s killing, while videos circulating online showed hardline religious speakers making militant speeches, with some attendees carrying rifles.

The funeral is taking place during a fragile ceasefire and amid growing public frustration over the cost of the ceremonies, economic hardship and the government’s mobilization of state resources for political display.

Most Viewed

US rules out Iran truce extension as Tehran official sets new deadline
1

US rules out Iran truce extension as Tehran official sets new deadline

2
ANALYSIS

To survive maximum pressure, Iran kept pumping and broke its oil company

3

Iran’s new infiltration bill could make ordinary contact a crime

4
OPINION

The three snakes of Zahhak

5
EXCLUSIVE

Iraqi Kurdistan president’s office confirms Barzani’s US-Iran backchannel role

Banner
Banner
Banner

Spotlight

  • Seven months on, January protests still shape Iranians’ lives
    VOICES FROM IRAN

    Seven months on, January protests still shape Iranians’ lives

  • Forced to serve in the IRGC, now fighting to stay in Canada
    SPECIAL REPORT

    Forced to serve in the IRGC, now fighting to stay in Canada

  • Iran’s ‘infiltration’ bill sparks backlash over sweeping reach

    Iran’s ‘infiltration’ bill sparks backlash over sweeping reach

  • To survive maximum pressure, Iran kept pumping and broke its oil company
    ANALYSIS

    To survive maximum pressure, Iran kept pumping and broke its oil company

  • They carry the evidence of Iran’s crackdown on their bodies

    They carry the evidence of Iran’s crackdown on their bodies

  • The three snakes of Zahhak
    OPINION

    The three snakes of Zahhak

  • Iran lawmaker played direct role in deadly protest crackdown, witnesses say

    Iran lawmaker played direct role in deadly protest crackdown, witnesses say

  • Funeral expenses deepen anger over Ali Khamenei's week-long burial

    Funeral expenses deepen anger over Ali Khamenei's week-long burial

  • Khamenei funeral preparations draw complaints of forced attendance

    Khamenei funeral preparations draw complaints of forced attendance

  • Past funeral disasters cast a shadow over Khamenei's burial

    Past funeral disasters cast a shadow over Khamenei's burial