• العربية
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Live TV
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Live TV
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • فارسی
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Live TV
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

Iran suspends visa-free entry for Indians after abduction cases, India says

Nov 18, 2025, 02:56 GMT+0Updated: 23:54 GMT+0

India’s embassy in Tehran on Monday said Iran will suspend its visa-waiver facility for ordinary Indian passport holders from November 22 after reports that Indians were being lured to the country on false job offers and kidnapped for ransom.

In a travel advisory, the embassy said Indian nationals had been “tricked into journeying to Iran by taking advantage of the visa waiver facility,” with many abducted upon arrival by criminal groups posing as recruitment or travel agents.

The advisory said Iran had decided to halt the visa-waiver scheme “to prevent further misuse of the facility by criminal elements.”

“Indian nationals with ordinary passports would be required to obtain a visa to enter or transit through Iran,” the advisory added.

The embassy urged Indians planning to travel to Iran to remain “vigilant” and avoid agents offering visa-free travel or onward transit to third countries via Iran.

In May, India’s embassy in Tehran said three Indian nationals who had traveled to Iran that month had gone missing.

The missing men — Hushanpreet Singh, Jaspal Singh, and Amritpal Singh — are all from the northern Indian state of Punjab and reportedly lost contact with their families shortly after landing in Tehran on May 1.

According to Indian media, they had planned to travel to Australia via Dubai and Iran, reportedly with the help of an agent based in Hoshiarpur who was also missing.

Relatives said the men were kidnapped and that a ransom was demanded.

In early June, the IRGC-affiliated Tasnim news agency reported that the three men were rescued in a police operation against the hostage-takers in Varamin, south of Tehran.

The Indian Embassy later said the three kidnapped men had been “safely rescued” and were now under its care, adding that it was arranging their repatriation.

Most Viewed

Iran's central bank says it is not hyperinflation. Economists are not convinced
1
INSIGHT

Iran's central bank says it is not hyperinflation. Economists are not convinced

2

IRGC chief backs state broadcaster amid clashes with Pezeshkian, Ghalibaf

3
PODCAST

The hidden toll of Iran crackdown: disability, chronic pain, opioid dependence

4
VOICES FROM IRAN

Iranians voice economic despair as dollar hits 2 million rials

5

Iran executes another January protest detainee

Banner
Banner

Spotlight

  • Ghalibaf's hunger warning sparks hardline backlash over showing weakness
    INSIGHT

    Ghalibaf's hunger warning sparks hardline backlash over showing weakness

  • Iran crude loadings plunge to one-seventh of pre-war level as blockade bites
    ANALYSIS

    Iran crude loadings plunge to one-seventh of pre-war level as blockade bites

  • Turkey’s gas pivot leaves Iran with fewer cards to play
    ANALYSIS

    Turkey’s gas pivot leaves Iran with fewer cards to play

  • Can Iran's fragile economy survive Trump's 'Economic D-Day'?
    ANALYSIS

    Can Iran's fragile economy survive Trump's 'Economic D-Day'?

  • The unlikely return of European diplomacy in the Iran-US conflict
    ANALYSIS

    The unlikely return of European diplomacy in the Iran-US conflict

  • For Iranian journalists, exile can last a lifetime
    OPINION

    For Iranian journalists, exile can last a lifetime

Banner