The United States, France, Germany and Britain have once again called on Iran to abandon its demands that are beyond the 2015 nuclear deal and agree to the current agreement at hand.
The foreign ministers of the United States, France, Germany and the deputy foreign minister of the United Kingdom made the call in a meeting of the Transatlantic Quad foreign ministers on the sidelines of the Group of 20 ministerial meeting in Bali, Indonesia on Friday.
According to a readout of the meeting by the US Department of State, Secretary Antony Blinken, French Foreign Minister Catherine Colonna, German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock, and UK Second Permanent Under Secretary and Political Director Tim Barrow expressed concern about the pace of developments in Iran’s nuclear program.
They reiterated their commitment to a mutual return to full compliance with the JCPOA (the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action), calling on Iran to drop its extraneous demands and to quickly agree to the deal that is currently available.
Following the failure of Tehran-Washington proximity talks in Qatar last week, the US State Department says there is no plan for another round of talks for now. There has been a deal on the table that is more or less finalized for several months now, he said.
On Wednesday, Qatar’s Foreign Minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani visited Iran to discuss the latest development on kickstarting the nuclear talks, which had stalled for months.