Iran and Saudi Arabia both say that they are willing to continue talks they started in April but not much progress has been made, with embassies still closed.

Iran’s foreign ministry said Sunday that after four rounds of talks with Saudi Arabia, reopening of embassies “will take some time”, after the Saudi foreign minister said not much progress has been made.

The Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh was quoted by local media as saying that the two sides have achieved preliminary agreements, but the two countries are waiting for the finalization of the talks.

Saudi Arabia’s Foreign Minister Faisal bin Farhan Al Saud had told CNBS in Rome on Saturday that talks with Iran are continuing but no “solid progress had been made.” He indicated that another round of talks will follow, saying,We haven’t really reached any conclusive progress. But they have been, I would say, positive enough to allow for further discussion beyond, but nothing concrete as of yet.”

Iran has embarked on a much-touted policy of improving relations with neighbors as it grapples with Western powers over its nuclear program. The West besides asking Iran for a full return to the 2015 nuclear deal (JCPOA), is also raising the issue Tehran’s aggressive policies in the region.

News (26')
Window
News Summary

Share your story

Send your Videos and Photos to us