• العربية
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • فارسی
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

Sunni Leader Calls For Justice On 'Khash Bloody Friday' Anniversary

Nov 3, 2023, 18:24 GMT+0
Iran's top Sunni cleric Mowlavi Abdolhamid
Iran's top Sunni cleric Mowlavi Abdolhamid

Iran’s top Sunni cleric Mowlavi Abdolhamid called for “justice” during his weekly sermons referring to a massacre which took place in the city of Khash last year.

According to Amnesty International, during the "Bloody Friday of Khash" in November 2022, the Islamic Republic forces shot live ammunition at protesters and worshippers, killing at least 18 people, including two children, and injuring dozens.

In his remarks on Friday, Abdolhamid expressed the Iranian people's demand for "justice" and the punishment of the culprits behind the massacre. The incident occurred a few weeks after a similar attack by security forces in the provincial capital Zahedan, where about 100 protesters were killed by the regime’s security forces.

Human rights media outlet Haalvsh has also reported the presence of military forces and intense security measures around Zahedan's Makki Mosque and the city of Khash.

Abdolhamid emphasized the importance of justice and freedom in Iran in his Friday sermon. He stated that existing discrimination and inequalities must be addressed, and political prisoners, including writers, journalists, and intellectuals, should be released and criticism should be tolerated.

After the bloody attacks on protesters in Zahedan and Khash, various cities in Sistan and Baluchestan province have been scenes of popular demonstrations every Friday over the past year.

Despite increased pressure, the protests have continued with authorities blocking the internet and access to communication in the province. Rights groups say, the internet has been shut down continuously since the widespread anti-government protests began in September 2022.

Most Viewed

Mohsen Rezaei’s son among nine identified in $11-billion Iran oil network
1
EXCLUSIVE

Mohsen Rezaei’s son among nine identified in $11-billion Iran oil network

2
PODCAST

Iran’s rulers turn attention to the threat from within

3
ANALYSIS

War redraws Iran’s trade as ties with key partners plunge

4

Iran weighs gasoline rationing as fuel deficit widens

5

Iran lawmaker played direct role in deadly protest crackdown, witnesses say

Banner
Banner
Banner

Spotlight

  • Mohsen Rezaei’s son among nine identified in $11-billion Iran oil network
    EXCLUSIVE

    Mohsen Rezaei’s son among nine identified in $11-billion Iran oil network

  • Iran’s rulers turn attention to the threat from within
    PODCAST

    Iran’s rulers turn attention to the threat from within

  • War redraws Iran’s trade as ties with key partners plunge
    ANALYSIS

    War redraws Iran’s trade as ties with key partners plunge

  • Sanctions alone cannot topple Iran’s regime, former Treasury official says

    Sanctions alone cannot topple Iran’s regime, former Treasury official says

  • Fear of unrest complicates Iran’s gasoline dilemma
    INSIGHT

    Fear of unrest complicates Iran’s gasoline dilemma

  • Iran’s security reshuffle lays bare political drama at the top
    ANALYSIS

    Iran’s security reshuffle lays bare political drama at the top