The US Department of State building  (file photo)

The US Department of State building

US Rejects Transfer Of Funds In Prisoner Swap Deal With Iran

Sunday, 10/02/2022

The United States said Sunday that reports from Iranian sources of a transfer of funds related to the release of Bagher (Baquer) Namazi and to a furlough for his son Siamak Namazi are categorically false.

In response to Iran International, a US State Department spokesperson said that "Any claim that Iran's lifting of a travel ban on Baquer Namazi was part of a deal for a transfer of frozen funds is categorically false,” adding that “We understand that the lifting of the travel ban and his son’s furlough were related to his medical requirement.”

“Baquer Namazi was unjustly detained in Iran and then not permitted to leave the county after serving his sentence, despite his repeated requirement for urgent medical attention,” the source noted, saying that “We continue to have indirect discussions on possible humanitarian arrangements to facilitate the urgent release of the remaining US citizens wrongfully detained by Iran, but we have nothing further to announce at this time."

Earlier in the day, Tehran claimed that it will receive $7 billion of its frozen funds for a prisoner exchange deal with the United States, but it did not specifically claim that the money is related to the Namazis.

United Nations spokesperson Stephane Dujarric announced about Namazis in a statement on Saturday, but the Islamic Republic periodically announces that release of its frozen funds is imminent to prop up its currency.

G4 Protest Special - Evening (12\')
News (44\')
Sports News

Share your story

Send your Videos and Photos to us