• العربية
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Live TV
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Live TV
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • فارسی
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Live TV
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

Mojtaba Khamenei unlikely to attend father’s funeral, aide tells India Today

Jul 2, 2026, 15:24 GMT+1

Mojtaba Khamenei is unlikely to appear in public at his father Ali Khamenei’s funeral because of security concerns, India Today reported Thursday, citing an interview with Hakim Elahi, the supreme leader’s representative in India.

Elahi was quoted as saying that Mojtaba Khamenei wants to attend the funeral and lead prayers, but security officials have warned it would be too dangerous.

“I was in Iran last week and I visited some of my friends who met him and they said he wants to come out,” Elahi said. “Even he wanted to lead people by Salat because we have to pray on the dead body of Ayatollah Khomeini. But the security doesn’t allow him to come.”

“They said it’s very dangerous and we cannot provide security for him. And I think he will not come out,” he added.

Asked whether Ali Khamenei had named someone in his will to lead the funeral prayers, Elahi said: “No, he didn’t mention anyone to lead the prayers and actually if the condition was good, the new supreme leader is the one who is going to lead the people for the Salat and prayer.”

“But unfortunately the condition is not good,” he added. “They have very, very advanced technology and they can recognize him and they can follow him. Where is he. And it’s very dangerous for him. So because of that he will not come out.”

When the reporter noted that Israel’s defense minister had said Mojtaba Khamenei remained on the hit list, Elahi replied: “Yes, it’s very, very difficult.”

Most Viewed

Mohsen Rezaei’s son among nine identified in $11-billion Iran oil network
1
EXCLUSIVE

Mohsen Rezaei’s son among nine identified in $11-billion Iran oil network

2
PODCAST

Iran’s rulers turn attention to the threat from within

3

Iran weighs gasoline rationing as fuel deficit widens

4

Iran lawmaker played direct role in deadly protest crackdown, witnesses say

5

Qatar rejects Iran's claim it captured three Su-24 pilots alive

Banner
Banner
Banner

Spotlight

  • They carry the evidence of Iran’s crackdown on their bodies

    They carry the evidence of Iran’s crackdown on their bodies

  • The three snakes of Zahhak
    OPINION

    The three snakes of Zahhak

  • Iran lawmaker played direct role in deadly protest crackdown, witnesses say

    Iran lawmaker played direct role in deadly protest crackdown, witnesses say

  • Mohsen Rezaei’s son among nine identified in $11-billion Iran oil network
    EXCLUSIVE

    Mohsen Rezaei’s son among nine identified in $11-billion Iran oil network

  • Iran’s rulers turn attention to the threat from within
    PODCAST

    Iran’s rulers turn attention to the threat from within

  • War redraws Iran’s trade as ties with key partners plunge
    ANALYSIS

    War redraws Iran’s trade as ties with key partners plunge