• العربية
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • فارسی
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

UN chief urges end to Hormuz closure, offers UN role

Mar 21, 2026, 06:35 GMT+0

UN Secretary-General António Guterres called for Iran to end its closure of the Strait of Hormuz and suggested the United Nations could help secure the waterway as part of efforts to reduce tensions, Politico reported Saturday.

Most Viewed

Iran’s president defends US talks as he lays bare economic strain
1

Iran’s president defends US talks as he lays bare economic strain

2

Pezeshkian says Iranians must accept inflation as country is in war

3

Trump holds off planned Iran strike as Arab allies buy Tehran time

4

Amnesty says Iran drove global surge in executions in 2025

5

IRGC-linked propaganda posts targeted across platforms, Europol says

Banner
Banner

Spotlight

  • Tehran unsure whether Trump is bluffing or preparing for war
    INSIGHT

    Tehran unsure whether Trump is bluffing or preparing for war

  • Why Tehran threatens Trump while pursuing diplomacy
    ANALYSIS

    Why Tehran threatens Trump while pursuing diplomacy

  • How an IRGC-linked money laundering network operated from London
    EXCLUSIVE

    How an IRGC-linked money laundering network operated from London

  • Tehran Stock Exchange reopens under tight controls as key firms stay closed
    ANALYSIS

    Tehran Stock Exchange reopens under tight controls as key firms stay closed

  • Tehran and Washington betting the other side blinks first
    INSIGHT

    Tehran and Washington betting the other side blinks first

  • Two years after Raisi’s crash: Iran has no sanctuary
    ANALYSIS

    Two years after Raisi’s crash: Iran has no sanctuary

•
•
•

More Stories

Iran using energy prices to pressure world, US envoy says

Mar 21, 2026, 02:42 GMT+0

US Ambassador to the United Nations Michael Waltz said on Friday that Iran is seeking to push up energy prices and create global economic pressure to ensure its survival.

Speaking at a CNN town hall, Waltz siad Tehran is trying to “sow chaos” by targeting its neighbors, critical infrastructure, and energy markets, adding that it aims to “hold the world hostage.” He said President Donald Trump has weighed those risks against the possibility of Iran acquiring a nuclear weapon.

Waltz said Washington is taking measures to contain rising prices and plans to expand domestic energy production, including oil, gas, and nuclear, to counter what he described as Iran’s strategy.

Iran says no crude surplus amid US market reassurance

Mar 21, 2026, 02:02 GMT+0

Iran’s Consulate General in Mumbai said on Friday Tehran currently has “essentially no floating crude or surplus available for international markets,” responding to recent remarks by the US Treasury Secretary aimed at reassuring global oil buyers amid the ongoing supply disruption tied to the war with Iran.

US lends 45 million barrels from strategic oil reserve – Reuters

Mar 21, 2026, 01:20 GMT+0

The Trump administration announced on Friday it has lent 45.2 million barrels of crude from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR) to oil companies in an effort to ease soaring prices driven by the ongoing war on Iran, according to Reuters.

The initial loan covers 52% of the up to 86 million barrels the administration planned to release last week, with the broader plan aiming for 172 million barrels to be delivered through this year and into next.

Companies receiving the SPR loans include BP Products North America, Gunvor USA, Marathon Petroleum, and Shell Trading, the US Energy Department said.

Switzerland bans weapons exports to US during Iran war - NBC News

Mar 21, 2026, 01:15 GMT+0

Switzerland announced on Friday it will block the export of war materiel to the United States and other nations involved in the conflict with Iran for the duration of the war.

“The export of war materiel to countries involved in the international armed conflict with Iran cannot be authorized for the duration of the conflict,” the Swiss government said, adding that exports to the US “cannot currently be authorized.”

The US was Switzerland’s second-largest weapons importer last year, after Germany, according to SWI swissinfo. Switzerland added it has long refused military exports to Israel and does not export war materiel to Iran.

Vahid, the life-saving ‘one-man army’ Iranians turn to when news is censored

Mar 21, 2026, 01:05 GMT+0

As Tehran tightens control over wartime information, one of Iran’s most influential citizen journalists has come under renewed pressure: Vahid Online, long anonymous, is now stepping into the open.

For more than a decade, the anonymous operator behind Vahid Online built a vast following by aggregating videos, images and reports from inside Iran—often capturing events that state-controlled media ignore or suppress.

During the January protests, he was among the first to publish images from inside a Tehran morgue showing people searching for missing loved ones among rows of body bags.

During the 2022 Woman, Life, Freedom movement, many of the most iconic images—of both defiance and repression—first appeared on his channels.

Now, as the current conflict drives demand for real-time, uncensored information, his channels have once again surged in prominence.

Videos of strikes, damaged buildings and their aftermath are sent directly to him, along with a steady flow of messages from across Iran reporting explosions, air defense activity or fighter jets passing overhead—often with timestamps and locations attached.

The messages Vahid shares not only serve as a lifeline during the information blackout, but can also literally save lives, as evidenced by a recent case in which a user said two lives were saved thanks to a warning he had shared.

What sets the platform apart is not just speed, but trust. Over years of steady, often relentless posting, Vahid Online has built a reputation that prompts people inside Iran to send material directly—text messages, photos, audio and video.

“I rely on direct, independent material sent to me,” he wrote during the January protests. “If I were just reposting what’s already out there, there would be no point—many accounts are already doing that.”

That relationship often carries a distinctly personal tone. Messages frequently begin simply: “Vahid, this happened,” or “Vahid, please publish this.” The exchange resembles less a tip line than a direct appeal to a trusted intermediary—someone anonymous, yet familiar.

That approach—prioritizing original submissions over viral content—has shaped both his influence and its limits. It means he is sometimes slower in the early stages of unrest, when little verified material is available, and more visible once footage begins to flow from the ground.

The volume and intensity of that material come at a cost. He has written at times about the strain of constant monitoring, sleepless nights and exposure to graphic or distressing images—an emotional and physical toll that has, on occasion, affected his health.

The figure behind the account had long remained elusive. Describing himself only as a “curious netizen” based in the US state of Maryland, he has consistently avoided interviews or public exposure.

Iranian state media recently claimed—without independent verification—to have uncovered his identity, publishing what they said were personal details alongside an AI-generated image. In response, he said some details were accurate but dismissed the image as not resembling him.

"The Islamic Republic has known my official identity for years. The day just finally came when they decided to reveal it and pretend they had obtained it in some special way," Vahid said in a post on his Telegram channel on March 17.

"The information they cited from my identity documents appears to be correct," he said.

Three days later, he officially signed off his Nowruz message on X with the name released by Iranian state media: Mir-Vahid Hassantabar.

For many Iranians—inside the country and across the diaspora—Vahid Online functions as a kind of real-time window onto events that might otherwise go unseen. Admirers sometimes describe him as a “one-man army.”

Vahid operates primarily on Telegram—where he has 1.2 million subscribers—and to a lesser extent on X, where he has about 700,000 followers.

His rise dates back to the aftermath of Iran’s disputed 2009 presidential election, when protests erupted following the reelection of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Then a blogger, he gained attention by publishing mobile phone footage of a raid on the campaign headquarters of opposition leader Mir-Hossein Mousavi. As repression intensified, he left Iran—reportedly via Turkey—and later sought asylum in the United States.

Since then, Vahid Online has become a central node in the circulation of information about Iran, particularly during waves of unrest. Major international outlets have at times drawn on such material.

Supporters credit the platform with helping bridge an information gap created by censorship, pointing to practices such as blurring faces, withholding identifying details and selectively posting material to protect sources. The operator himself has described his role more modestly—as an “audience member” highlighting what others might miss or suppress.

Iranian state media accuse the platform of foreign backing or links to intelligence services—claims made without publicly verifiable evidence. Vahid has dismissed such allegations as routine smear tactics, writing recently: “I am an ordinary citizen with no links to anyone.”

As conflict deepens and information becomes another battleground, Vahid Online is far more than an ordinary citizen. His platform is no longer peripheral, but part of the story—one that may, in time, be written with material he helped bring to light.

In his March 17 statement, he said now that the Islamic Republic has exposed his identity and "this barrier had been removed," he has been pushed into "a new phase of life."

"Now I’m not sure what new things I might want to do that I couldn’t before because of these limitations."