AUS Navy warship on Thursday intercepted three cruise missiles and several drones launched by the Iran-backed Houthi militants from Yemen.
While Washington is on heightened alert for activity by Iran-backed groups as regional tensions soar during the Israel-Hamas war, the Pentagon said that the projectiles were potentially fired toward Israel.
The Pentagon said the destroyer USS Carney was operating in the northern Red Sea on Thursday when it brought down the projectiles and there were no injuries.
"We cannot say for certain what these missiles and drones were targeting, but they were launched from Yemen heading north along the Red Sea, potentially towards targets in Israel," Pentagon spokesman Brigadier General Patrick Ryder told reporters.
Earlier in the day, US forces in Syria also brought down two hostile drones, leading to some minor injuries. The attack took place on Wednesday against US forces at Al-Tanf base, near Syria's borders with Iraq and Jordan. Unnamed US officials did not say who was responsible for the attack, but Iranian backed militia groups have targeted the bases multiple times in the past.
The United States has sent a significant amount of naval power to the Middle East in the past week, including two aircraft carriers, their support ships and about 2,000 Marines.
While the White House says there are "no plans or intentions" for their use, it means US military assets would be in place to provide support to protect US national security interests if needed. The US also has an array of bases in the Middle East with troops, fighter aircraft and warships.