• العربية
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Live TV
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Live TV
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • فارسی
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Live TV
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

US Strengthening Presence in Persian Gulf After Iran Threats

May 12, 2023, 21:51 GMT+1
Marshall Islands-flagged oil tanker Advantage Sweet, which, according to Refinitiv ship tracking data, is a Suezmax crude tanker which had been chartered by oil major Chevron and had last docked in Kuwait, sails through Bophorus Istanbul, Turkey, February 11, 2023.
Marshall Islands-flagged oil tanker Advantage Sweet, which, according to Refinitiv ship tracking data, is a Suezmax crude tanker which had been chartered by oil major Chevron and had last docked in Kuwait, sails through Bophorus Istanbul, Turkey, February 11, 2023.

The United States will begin to bolster defensive posture in the Middle East region, White House spokesman John Kirby said on Friday.

The US made the move after destabilizing actions by the Islamic Republic this past month to interfere with and seize commercial vessels transiting the Strait of Hormuz and other strategic waterways.

“[The] United States will not allow foreign or regional powers to jeopardize freedom of navigation through the Middle East waterways, including the Strait of Hormuz,” National Security Council Coordinator for Strategic Communications John Kirby told reporters on Friday, adding that there is “simply no justification” for Iranian actions to interfere, harass or attack merchant ships.

“Today, the Department of Defense will be making a series of moves to bolster our defensive posture in the Persian Gulf. US central command will provide additional details on those reinforcements in coming days,” he continued.

The US 5th fleet will increase the rotation of ships and aircraft patrolling the Strait of Hormuz and further increase security collaboration with partners and allies, according to a US Navy statement.

“Iran’s unwarranted, irresponsible and unlawful seizure and harassment of merchant vessels must stop,” Vice Admiral Brad Cooper, who oversees US Naval forces in the region, said in the statement, adding the US is “committed to protecting navigational rights in these critical waters.”

In April, the US Navy’s Bahrain-based 5th Fleet accused Iran's IRGC of making "dangerous and harassing approaches" toward US warships in the Persian Gulf.

Most Viewed

US rules out Iran truce extension as Tehran official sets new deadline
1

US rules out Iran truce extension as Tehran official sets new deadline

2

Canada deports former Iranian official linked to 2019 protest crackdown

3

State TV host sparks backlash over ‘southern Iran for southern Lebanon’ remark

4
OPINION

For Iranian journalists, exile can last a lifetime

5
INSIGHT

Forced to serve in the IRGC, now fighting to stay in Canada

Banner
Banner
Banner

Spotlight

  • Luxury Tehran property asking prices surpass Munich and Sydney

    Luxury Tehran property asking prices surpass Munich and Sydney

  • For Iranian journalists, exile can last a lifetime
    OPINION

    For Iranian journalists, exile can last a lifetime

  • Seven months on, January protests still shape Iranians’ lives
    VOICES FROM IRAN

    Seven months on, January protests still shape Iranians’ lives

  • Forced to serve in the IRGC, now fighting to stay in Canada
    INSIGHT

    Forced to serve in the IRGC, now fighting to stay in Canada

  • Iran’s ‘infiltration’ bill sparks backlash over sweeping reach

    Iran’s ‘infiltration’ bill sparks backlash over sweeping reach

  • To survive maximum pressure, Iran kept pumping and broke its oil company
    ANALYSIS

    To survive maximum pressure, Iran kept pumping and broke its oil company