Iranian media say two servicemen from the Revolutionary Guard were killed in the southern city of Shiraz but there are unconfirmed reports that the two died in Syria.
Telegram channels affiliated with the IRGC said on Thursday that Mohammad Eslami and Mohammad Sajjadizadeh were killed in the Fars province on Wednesday, adding that they were “martyred” during skirmishes with the outlaws. Iranian media did not provide any further details about their deaths.
However, there are social media reports that the two were killed when US hits Iran-backed forces in Syria after a second rocket attack on Tuesday and Wednesday on facilities used by groups under IRGC control in Syria’s Deir ez-Zor.
Iran International cannot independently confirm any of the conflicting claims.
US attack helicopters destroyed three vehicles of Iranian militia In Syria Wednesday evening local time that had fired rockets at American forces. Three militiamen were reportedly killed in the US retaliatory attack. The United States also conducted an air strike Tuesday at suspected militia who had conducted a rocket attack on August 15 against US forces.
There are reports that the US military carried out a third round of airstrikes in Al-Mayadin, in the same area, against “Iran-backed” groups on Thursday. The fresh raids have reportedly left casualties.
Military tensions escalated between US forces and Iranian militia in Syria as nuclear talks between Tehran and Washington seemed to be making some progress.
Earlier in the week, Iran’s state-run media said a senior member of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard’s Ground Force was killed in Syria in the early hours of August 22, claiming that the general was killed as he was serving as a "military advisor" in the country.