• العربية
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • فارسی
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

Iran-Linked Terror Suspect Daniel Khalife Arrested in West London

Sep 9, 2023, 15:16 GMT+1Updated: 20:07 GMT+1
Daniel Khalife, fugitive former UK soldier
Daniel Khalife, fugitive former UK soldier

British authorities confirmed the apprehension of Daniel Khalife, a 21-year-old former soldier with alleged ties to Iran, following a four-day manhunt in West London.

Scotland Yard disclosed that Khalife had been taken into custody in the Chiswick area, located approximately four miles away from Wandsworth prison, where he had managed to escape on Wednesday morning.

Presently, Khalife remains in police custody, facing a range of charges including espionage on behalf of an undisclosed enemy state, suspected to be Iran, as well as the acquisition of information with the potential to aid acts of terrorism and a conspiracy to orchestrate a false bomb threat.

British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak expressed his satisfaction with Khalife's arrest and offered commendations to both law enforcement officers and the public for their unwavering dedication in locating the fugitive. Speaking at the G20 summit in Delhi, the Prime Minister also revealed the initiation of an inquiry by the justice secretary into the circumstances surrounding Khalife's escape, emphasizing that this investigation would persist.

On Friday, the police officially confirmed that Khalife had been observed emerging from beneath a lorry at Wandsworth Roundabout shortly after his escape. In a bid to facilitate his capture, authorities had issued a reward of up to £20,000 for information leading to his arrest.

Daniel Abed Khalife embarked on his military career in 2019, stationed at MoD Stafford, also known as Beacon Barracks, prior to his disappearance on January 2. The incident was linked to an alleged bomb hoax. Subsequent court proceedings at Westminster Magistrates' Court unveiled allegations of Khalife planting mock explosive devices with the intent of inducing fear.

Most Viewed

Mohsen Rezaei’s son among nine identified in $11-billion Iran oil network
1
EXCLUSIVE

Mohsen Rezaei’s son among nine identified in $11-billion Iran oil network

2
PODCAST

Iran’s rulers turn attention to the threat from within

3
ANALYSIS

War redraws Iran’s trade as ties with key partners plunge

4

Iran weighs gasoline rationing as fuel deficit widens

5

Qatar rejects Iran's claim it captured three Su-24 pilots alive

Banner
Banner
Banner

Spotlight

  • Mohsen Rezaei’s son among nine identified in $11-billion Iran oil network
    EXCLUSIVE

    Mohsen Rezaei’s son among nine identified in $11-billion Iran oil network

  • Iran’s rulers turn attention to the threat from within
    PODCAST

    Iran’s rulers turn attention to the threat from within

  • War redraws Iran’s trade as ties with key partners plunge
    ANALYSIS

    War redraws Iran’s trade as ties with key partners plunge

  • Sanctions alone cannot topple Iran’s regime, former Treasury official says

    Sanctions alone cannot topple Iran’s regime, former Treasury official says

  • Fear of unrest complicates Iran’s gasoline dilemma
    INSIGHT

    Fear of unrest complicates Iran’s gasoline dilemma

  • Iran’s security reshuffle lays bare political drama at the top
    ANALYSIS

    Iran’s security reshuffle lays bare political drama at the top