An Iranian lawmaker says the decision about removing internet restrictions depends on the country's security situation, as protests continue.
Lotfollah Siahkali, a member of the Iranian parliament, said that as long as security and intelligence organizations feel there is a problem with the country's security, they will tell the ministry of communications to continue restricting internet access and block social media apps.
Previously, Iran’s Minister of Communications, Isa Zarepour had also admitted that his ministry is not the decision-maker on this matter, in response to questions about the reason for banning Instagram and WhatsApp.
On September 20, amid the nationwide protests to the killing of Mahsa Amini by police, access to Instagram and WhatsApp applications were blocked and no government organization took responsibility.
The Iranian lawmaker also claimed that similar decisions are taken all over the world at a time of crisis but “when the crisis is over, they usually return to normal conditions.”
Meanwhile, the head of the National Security and Foreign Policy Commission of Iran’s Parliament said, “the enemy is attempting to show a turbulent image of Iran using cyberspace.”
Vahid Jalalzadeh stated on Monday that the cyberspace has become “the front line of the enemy because of the failure to follow the orders of the Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.”
“Many years ago, the Supreme Leader stressed the need to pay attention to the virtual and cultural space of the country, which unfortunately was neglected by the officials, and today the enemy is dominating the virtual space,” added Jalalzadeh.