The Israeli military has dismissed claims by Iranian media that IDF Chief of Staff Aviv Kochavi had admitted to the failure of security forces in dealing with the recent Tel Aviv terror attacks.
Iran’s official news agency IRNA claimed on Saturday that following the Tel Aviv shooting, Kochavi said the security forces could not control the situation and the perpetrator managed to escape easily.
The spokesman of the IDF, Brigadier General Ran Kochav, told Iran International on Saturday that the Israeli Defense Forces held a meeting to discuss the country's current security situation amid the rise of attacks on civilians on Friday but Kochavi didn’t talk about any failure of the security apparatus.
IRNA cited a report by al-Manar TV – the official media of Iran-backed Hezbollah Lebanese group – as its source.
However, the assailant of the shooting on Dizengoff street, identified as 28-year-old Ra’ad Fathi Hazem from the Jenin refugee camp, was killed by security forces a few hours later, something Iranian media affiliated with the Revolutionary Guard (IRGC) described as martyrdom.
The shooting spree that killed three Israelis and injured at least 10 others this week in Dizengoff street was the latest in a wave that has claimed the lives of 13 people so far.