• العربية
  • فارسی
Brand
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
  • Theme
  • Language
    • العربية
    • فارسی
  • Iran Insight
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Analysis
  • Special Report
  • Opinion
  • Podcast
All rights reserved for Volant Media UK Limited
volant media logo

Iran says it is working with Oman on new Hormuz transit mechanism

May 18, 2026, 08:40 GMT+1

Iran said on Monday it was in continuous contact with Oman to develop a new mechanism for vessel traffic through the Strait of Hormuz, calling the waterway vital to the world.

Foreign Ministry Spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said Iran and Oman, as coastal states, had a responsibility to reassure other countries about safe passage through the strait.

He said expert-level talks between Iran and Oman were held last week in Muscat and consultations were continuing without interruption.

Baghaei also said Iran had no hostility toward any country in the region, “even the UAE,” while warning neighbors to guard against what it called plots by powers outside the region.

Tehran was calling on all regional countries to be vigilant about such efforts, he said, adding that visits and contacts with Israel were not hidden from Iran’s view.

Most Viewed

Shortage of opium syrup threatens addiction treatment in Iran
1

Shortage of opium syrup threatens addiction treatment in Iran

2
PODCAST

Can Iran’s economy survive a twin squeeze from blockade and blackout?

3

Shared housing spreads in Iran’s deepening rent crisis

Banner
Banner

Spotlight

  • Iran’s café culture buckles as everyday life contracts
    INSIGHT

    Iran’s café culture buckles as everyday life contracts

  • China’s Iran balancing act grows more costly
    ANALYSIS

    China’s Iran balancing act grows more costly

  • Tehran media sees rising risk of war as US talks stall
    INSIGHT

    Tehran media sees rising risk of war as US talks stall

  • Xi may help Trump on Iran, but at a price
    ANALYSIS

    Xi may help Trump on Iran, but at a price

  • How one Tehran hospital became a window into Iran’s January massacre
    SPECIAL REPORT

    How one Tehran hospital became a window into Iran’s January massacre

•
•
•

More Stories

Bessent to urge G7 to cut financing to Iran’s ‘war machine’

May 18, 2026, 08:25 GMT+1

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said on Monday he would call on G7 finance ministers to follow a sanctions regime aimed at cutting off financing to what he described as Iran’s “war machine.”

G7 finance ministers met in Paris on Monday to seek common ground on economic tensions and global imbalances, as markets faced renewed pressure from a bond selloff driven in part by inflation concerns tied to the Iran war and higher energy prices.

Bessent also said last week’s trip to China by a US delegation led by US President Donald Trump had been “very successful.”

Jordan condemns drone attack on Saudi Arabia

May 18, 2026, 07:58 GMT+1

Jordan condemned on Monday an attack targeting Saudi Arabia involving drones that entered from Iraqi airspace, calling it a violation of the kingdom’s sovereignty.

The country's foreign ministry said the attack threatened Saudi Arabia’s security, stability and territorial integrity, and violated international law.

It said Jordan stood in full solidarity with Saudi Arabia and supported all measures Riyadh takes to protect its sovereignty, security and the safety of its citizens and residents.

Pakistan condemns drone attack on UAE nuclear plant

May 18, 2026, 07:55 GMT+1

Pakistan condemned on Monday the drone attack on the Barakah nuclear plant in the United Arab Emirates, saying it stood in full solidarity with the UAE.

Pakistan’s foreign ministry said any deliberate targeting of nuclear facilities was a grave violation of international law and nuclear safety principles.

“Nuclear installations must never be targeted under any circumstances,” the ministry said.

Qatar condemns drone attack on Saudi Arabia

May 18, 2026, 07:39 GMT+1

Qatar condemned on Monday a drone attack targeting Saudi Arabia, calling it unacceptable and a violation of the country’s sovereignty.

Doha said the attack threatened Saudi Arabia’s security and safety as well as regional security.

It also renewed its full solidarity with Saudi Arabia and its support for all measures the kingdom takes to protect its security, sovereignty and the safety of its citizens and residents.

Oman condemns drone attack on UAE nuclear plant

May 18, 2026, 06:56 GMT+1

Oman condemned on Monday a drone attack targeting the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in the UAE’s Al Dhafra region, calling it a hostile and escalatory act.

Oman’s foreign ministry said Muscat stood in solidarity with the United Arab Emirates and supported measures taken to protect its security and territorial integrity.