Iran’s hardliner commander of Revolutionary Guard has once again threatened the West to take revenge for the killing of former IRGC General Qassem Soleimani.
Major General Hossein Salami said Sunday during an event to commemorate Soleimani’s death that “sooner or later we will avenge his assassination.”
He claimed that no one can create problems for the Islamic Republic establishment, and addressing the West he said, “stop your miscalculations.”
Soleimani was in charge of supporting and organizing militant proxy forces, including the Lebanese Hezbollah and Iraq Shiite militia groups that were repeatedly attacking US forces in Iraq and eslewhere.
On Saturday, Iran’s Revolutionary Guard said retaliatory military attacks against US targets for the killing of Qassem Soleimani in 2020 are still viable options.
IRGC spokesman Ramazan Sharif was quoted by Iranian media as saying that “moves such as [the attack on] Ain al-Assad base [in Iraq] are still being considered and “will become operational in due time.”
Five days after Soleimani was killed by a US air strike on January 3, 2020, Iran fired ballistic missiles at the Iraqi base hosting US troops. No Americans were killed but reports at the time spoke of dozens of servicemen receiving concussion because of the strong explosions.
At the time, President Donald trump who ordered the killing said that Soleimani presented an imminent danger to US personnel and interests in the region.
Since then, the Islamic Republic has continued threatening revenge for Soleimani, and these threats were repeated during the third anniversary of his killing this week.